What's new

Am I bricked?

Obez

Reaction score
Hello. My friend came over today afraid because his device is stuck on the recovery screen. It is an iPhone 4s and was jailbroken. I attempted to do a recovery on it, and recieved an error (9). Now I am getting unknown errors (-1) and the recovery only goes to maybe 1/10th of the full bar. I'm afraid the device is bricked, but I wanted to know if anyone had a way to fix the device at all before I have to pronounce it dead to him.

How it happened: He was jailbroken for at least 2 months, and he attempted to update the iPhone this morning. Upon updating, the device suddenly shut off, and shows a screen of the iTunes logo, an arrow pointing to it, and a USB male connector, obviously stating that you have to plug it into iTunes.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Obez

Did you or your friend attempt to DFU restore it or did both of you try recovery mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Did you or your friend attempt to DFU restore it or did both of you try recovery mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

When I got the phone, it was in DFU mode already. He said it forced itself like that.

I'm getting error 3194 now. He just said he was trying to perform an OTA update and he thinks it was 6.1.1 but he's not sure.

Last edited:
3194 is a host issue or a compatibility issue. Delete any gs.apple.com lines from your Host file, delete the Host.Umbrella file if applicable, and flush your DNS and try again. Make sure iTunes is closed when doing this.

Delete any gs.apple.com lines from your Host file, delete the Host.Umbrella file if applicable, and flush your DNS and try again. Make sure iTunes is closed when doing this.
Jon... I think we need to come up w/ a detailed How-To on this.

Was considering making a few how-to videos but I'm lacking an iPhone 4 or 3GS to borrow that I can mess around with to show the actual results