What's new

New to jailbreaking, need help.....stuck in recovery mode

wakesk8er02

Reaction score
Hello,

First post here.

I recently received an Iphone for pretty much free. The original owner said it was bricked, so I assumed he was trying to jailbreak it and something happened.

I got the phone and it kept getting error 1015 on itunes.

I used tinyumbrella to get in out of recovery mode. Now the phone turns on and works fine.

I went to update it to the newest OS(4.1 to 5.1) and I got error 11. When I try to restart the phone, it goes back into recovery mode and I have to use tinyumbrella again to get it out of recovery mode.

I am looking for some help to either get the phone update and not jailbroken anymore, or atleast update it and get it out of the recovery loop it seems to be on.

Any help is appreciated, I am very new to jailbreaking but I have rooted androids before.

Thanks!!!

go to another forum. this is one of the worst forums out there u really dont get to much help. anyways I had problems jailbreaking I ended up paying someone cause the answers they give u are very short. and not helpful at all

Really? LOL pull up my first 2 threads there's like 4 pages of going back and forth conversation getting my problems fixed....I really don't know where you came up with this perception.

go to another forum. this is one of the worst forums out there u really dont get to much help. anyways I had problems jailbreaking I ended up paying someone cause the answers they give u are very short. and not helpful at all

HeyHI...

We are sorry that you are unhapy with this Forum. We do ask for you to respond respectfully within this forum and also to other members.

Thank you,

IPF staff

Follow these steps:

1. Ensure that you are running the latest version of iTunes.
2. Ensure that there are no references to "gs.apple.com" in your HOSTS file
3. Place your device into DFU mode
4. Hit restore in iTunes or if you have an IPSW downloaded hit shift+restore and select the IPSW.

I feel i have to respond to this post,this the friendliest and most helpful forum as is our our sister site,The staff in the foums give up their free time to help members,we do this because we like helping people,comments like that are totally uncalled for.

Just looking for some help with my problems..

Follow Jmills87 advice and I assure you that your issue will be resolved. I apologize that somebody tried to de-rail your thread and demean our forums, but I assure you that this community has always been about helping people out. That's the spirit of this forum and it always will be. Now on that note, let's get this thread back on topic and help this member out. :)
Try out Jmills advice and let us know if this helps you!

wakesk8er02 said:
Hello,

First post here.

I recently received an Iphone for pretty much free. The original owner said it was bricked, so I assumed he was trying to jailbreak it and something happened.

I got the phone and it kept getting error 1015 on itunes.

I used tinyumbrella to get in out of recovery mode. Now the phone turns on and works fine.

I went to update it to the newest OS(4.1 to 5.1) and I got error 11. When I try to restart the phone, it goes back into recovery mode and I have to use tinyumbrella again to get it out of recovery mode.

I am looking for some help to either get the phone update and not jailbroken anymore, or atleast update it and get it out of the recovery loop it seems to be on.

Any help is appreciated, I am very new to jailbreaking but I have rooted androids before.

Thanks!!!

Yeah man.
Jmills said it pretty much perfectly.

First..Download the iPSW for your device *model* here: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=firmware (download from Mozilla Firefox, or Chrome...but *NOT* Internet Explorer*)

Save it to your desktop.

Enter DFU mode

Hold down the shift key on keyboard, *while* you click the restore button in iTunes.

Locate and select your 5.1.1 iPSW file on your desktop from within the window.

Click whatever you have to click to let iTunes continue restoring to 5.1.1.

Once restored...you can jailbreak with redsn0w...extremely easy.

4.1 is a very outdated iOS version.

I tried the steps mentioned above, I used the newest 3G software on the website.

Once I hit shift-restore the phone did its update and what not but it doesn't go through and I get error 1015 and It goes back into recovery mode....

Unless I missed it... have we touched base on what iPhone you're using here? 3G, 3GS, 4? From what you've stated in your last post I'm inclined to believe you have a 3G.. correct?

Ok... there's your issue. You cannot update a 3G past iOS 4.1... as that's the highest iOS version it supports.

That's what I was thinking since the website only had up to 4.1. Is there a reason for it to reboot into recovery mode every time? or it because I was trying to put on an OS that doesn't support 3g?