What's new

iPhone 3G in iTunes Recovery Loop - Throwing Error Code 1604

GazNicki

Reaction score
My colleague just brought in an iPhone 3G which is stuck in the recovery loop.

He has no idea how or why - so my information is limted.

All I know is the phone is an iPhone 3G and it is stuck displaying the iTunes Logo.

When I connected to iTunes it detects the phone in recovery mode and tries to update and restore to 4.3 - then gives me error code #1015

I tried redsn0w to get out of recovery loop, but the phone wont go into DFU Mode.

I had a bit of a look around Google, and it I *think* that the phone may have previously been jailbroken with the iPad Baseband - although this is a guess. I tried one or two guides on making a custom ISPW using Sn0wbreeze but using the custom ISPW and pwnd DFU Mode gives me error code 1604. Now I am stuck, I can't seem to get the phone to get out of recovery mode.

Anyone able to help me?

Use RedSn0w to restore and preserve the baseband in Extras > Even More > Restore. You can also use iFaith as well, which utilizes iTunes and does not work on iTunes 11.1 or above.

1015 is usually associated with the iPad Baseband already on the device, and 1600 issues are generally linked to the USB driver of the computer. A resolution for 1600 issues would be to remove your USB driver and restart your computer.

Thanks for the help.

When in pwnd DFU Mode, redsn0w is saying "usb error" or similar.

Will try on another laptop too and see if that works.

If the iPad Baseband is on the device, will it matter what version of iOS I use to restore?

If you're using a desktop, it's generally suggested that you use the rear chassis USB ports. Make sure that the cable is connected firmly and preferably, don't use a USB hub or extender.

And nope. As long as the iOS is being signed currently, or that you have SHSH blobs for one that is not currently being signed, you can restore without issues assuming you preserve the baseband in your situation.

And I hope that we're referring to iOS 4.2.1 as that's the latest iOS for the 3G. 4.3 was not made for the iPhone 3G