What's new

After freeze and hard restart, iPhone 3g will only boot to Apple screen and go dark

stevewojo

Reaction score
Hello,
I have searched all around for someone with a situation similar to this, but have not come across it.

Basically, I was downloading an update of one of my apps and then my 3g froze.

I tried being patient and figured there must have been some glitch with the download, so I then pushed the home and power button simultaneously to reboot it. Now, I had done this a few times before and it booted up normally.

However, this time around, the Apple logo would show up and after about 30-45 seconds the screen would go blank.

I tried this a number of times and the same result would happen every time.

I can get the phone into DFU and Restore modes, but the problem is, I have some Cycorder videos, which I haven't had a chance to back up.

I've tried a number of programs to get my phone to boot up, but to no avail.

I'm beginning to wonder if I open my phone, would I be able to access the hard drive (though it is flash drive) or can I somehow make it boot up, even just once so I can get the videos?

Or, thought it doesn't sound at all related, do you think if I replaced the battery, it could boot up?

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a program which may get it to boot up, that would be very helpful.

Thank you and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

stevewojo said:
Hello,
I have searched all around for someone with a situation similar to this, but have not come across it.

Basically, I was downloading an update of one of my apps and then my 3g froze.

I tried being patient and figured there must have been some glitch with the download, so I then pushed the home and power button simultaneously to reboot it. Now, I had done this a few times before and it booted up normally.

However, this time around, the Apple logo would show up and after about 30-45 seconds the screen would go blank.

I tried this a number of times and the same result would happen every time.

I can get the phone into DFU and Restore modes, but the problem is, I have some Cycorder videos, which I haven't had a chance to back up.

I've tried a number of programs to get my phone to boot up, but to no avail.

I'm beginning to wonder if I open my phone, would I be able to access the hard drive (though it is flash drive) or can I somehow make it boot up, even just once so I can get the videos?

Or, thought it doesn't sound at all related, do you think if I replaced the battery, it could boot up?

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a program which may get it to boot up, that would be very helpful.

Thank you and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds to me like the phone is shot.

Just no good anymore.

Your only chance I think is to restore.

You might be able to use "Fix Recovery" in redsn0w to boot it into a usable state where you could SSH the cycorder videos out....but it's a long shot.

Or if you backed up the phone while this videos were on there...you might be able to DFU restore to a fresh iPSW...then restore the backup that contains the videos....and retrieve them that way....maybe.

But I think this Your only options.

The phone is probably just old...and has reached its maximum life span.

I mean......it is an iPhone 3G...those are even being made anymore.

Hello zigzag, thanks for your honesty.

I'm particularly intrigued by your second suggestion, but I heard that even if you back up your phone to iTunes, your Cydia stuff like Cycorder videos will not be backed up. However, if there's a chance they were backed up, that gives me some hope.

In any case, I'll give both of your suggestions a try.

Thanks again.

FYI, I have since moved onto the 4S when it first came out, as my 3G died about a month before that.

stevewojo said:
Hello zigzag, thanks for your honesty.

I'm particularly intrigued by your second suggestion, but I heard that even if you back up your phone to iTunes, your Cydia stuff like Cycorder videos will not be backed up. However, if there's a chance they were backed up, that gives me some hope.

In any case, I'll give both of your suggestions a try.

Thanks again.

FYI, I have since moved onto the 4S when it first came out, as my 3G died about a month before that.

Well as you stated....they are merely suggestions...I don't know if they will work....but I would at least try ya know?