What's new

Absinthe 2.0.2 has been released windows/osx and linux versions!

I am having trouble trying to jailbreak my verizon iphone 4 running ios 5.1.1 9B206 and it keeps giving me an error. And my iphone will only connect to my pc in my room

I had started out on ios 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak. Then i updated in itunes lastnight on my pc. So now i go to settings and reset the iphone correct? Or will i mess up my iphone 4?

pianoman said:
I successfully got 5.1.1 on today using Unleashed's links. But I did it as an UPDATE over my 5.0.1 Jailbreak on my 4s. Is this okay?? I just forgot to hit restore and option clicked on Update in iTunes instead. I started the Jailbreak with Absinthe 2.0.1 and went and did some errands and 35 minutes later Absinthe was still on the "starting jailbreak this might take a while screen". Was I frozen? Or was it just taking longer because I had an iPhone full of apps and data?

UPDATE!!: Well I think it was because I hadn't done the "Erased All Contents" step (which will NOT work if you're still jailbroken at the reading of this) - which by the way, when it's being properly used from a Restored iPhone (not a jailbroken one) takes only 1 minute or so - no matter how full your phone is.

So I've been able to verify that you do NOT need to do a FULL RESTORE before taking a previously jailbroken phone up to a new Firmware and re-jailbreaking. You can do it as an UPDATE. After the Update - all your apps and data will still be in tact. And you CAN use the Absinthe tool to jailbreak - the Jailbreak will just take a VERY long time. So - in the final analysis I think it's ultimately a little timelier to so it in THIS order IF YOU'RE PREVIOUSLY JAILBROKEN:

1) BACK UP your IPHONE in iTunes (or iCloud)
2) UPDATE (or RESTORE) phone to new iOS version (while the current Jailbreak-able iOS version is still being signed by Apple) via iTunes (and I think iCloud will work here too)
3) Then, if you used UPDATE, use the ERASE ALL CONTENTS and SETTINGS next in your iPhone. (If you used RESTORE skip this step and choose SET UP AS NEW IPHONE/IPAD).
4) Jailbreak (will be nice and fast)
5) Right Clik on your iDevice in iTunes and choose "RESTORE FROM BACKUP" then choose the last backup you did before Updating.

This seems like the most painless process to follow. If you backed up your jailkbroken device to PKGBackup or one of the other tools for backing up Cydia stuff then you'd first download PKGBackup from Cydia - log into wherever you did your backups to and restore from backup. This will also take a lot of time if you have lots of themes and tweaks.

That's what's worked for me.

Hi i was running ios 5.0.1 untethered and i updated in itunes. But cant het the jailbreak to work. So i nee to go to settings and reset my iphone correct?

iPhonemodder1 said:
I had started out on ios 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak. Then i updated in itunes lastnight on my pc. So now i go to settings and reset the iphone correct? Or will i mess up my iphone 4?

do you have a fresh non jb iPhone?

h2olover1 said:
do you have a fresh non jb iPhone?

Yes i would assume so. It was jb on the 5.0.1. But i updated lastnight due to issues. And now it wont jb for me.

iPhonemodder1 said:
Yes i would assume so. It was jb on the 5.0.1. But i updated lastnight due to issues. And now it wont jb for me.

Back Up iPhone
Go into DFU
Restore in iTunes to a fresh 5.1.1 fw
When done, jailbreak with absinthe 2.0.2
Then choose the option to restore the back up in itunes. this will NOT screw up the jb

h2olover1 said:
Back Up iPhone
Go into DFU
Then choose the option to restore the back up in itunes. this will NOT screw up the jb

Ok. So i cant just jailbreak what i have? I guess its not a clean install then? Sorry i used to have no issues. But with this new one. Wow man. Lol

If you used UPDATE rather than RESTORE then the jailbreak will work - it just will seem like it's taking forever. But If you're UPDATED to 5.1.1 (meaning you still have all your stock apps and settings in tact) and want the jailbreak to look like it's working nice and fast - then backup once more thru iTunes sync - then do the ERASE ALL CONTENTS AND SETTINGS and THEN jailbreak. That's what I did. Worked perfectly. Then after jailbreak go back into iTunes. When your phone appears in the left menu - right clik on it and choose Restore from Backup and then make sure to choose the backup you just created before Erase All Contents. Sometimes the name of the backup has the wrong date and time stamp on it. When you choose one be sure to look at the date and time lower in that window. It will be accurate. That's all!

Last edited:
^ Thank you Pianoman!

I followed your instructions and did everything you said and it seems to be working perfectly. I am currently on the screen on my phone when you open Cydia for the first time and it says preparing file system, now it just rebooted! Yup! Worked great thank you so much man.

iPhonemodder1 said:
Ok. So i cant just jailbreak what i have? I guess its not a clean install then? Sorry i used to have no issues. But with this new one. Wow man. Lol

Thanks so much dude. I did as you said a my iphone is now jailbroken on ios 5.1.1. Again thanks so much!

h2olover1 said:
Back Up iPhone
Go into DFU

O one thing. I didnt go in to dfu mode. I just backed it up. Then restored it. And it worked great.

^ Thank you Pianoman!

I followed your instructions and did everything you said and it seems to be working perfectly. I am currently on the screen on my phone when you open Cydia for the first time and it says preparing file system, now it just rebooted! Yup! Worked great thank you so much man.
You're very welcome. It's great to be jailbroken, again, in my case ! :)