What's new

A few questions from someone who is new to the iPhone

GAMESHARQ

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting an iPhone 5, and I've been looking at factory unlocked models on eBay. Before I buy one, I'd like to see if anyone can answer the questions I have so I can be more prepared.

1 - Other than eBay, where can I buy a factory unlocked model? Does Apple sell them? Or Verizon and AT&T?

2 - If I buy one on eBay, how can I be sure it's factory unlocked? Is there a way to test it?

3 - How exactly do sim cards work? Can I use the one on my Samsung T-Mobile phone or do I need to buy a new one?

Also, how soon do you think we'll see a price drop and are there any sales coming up?

All iPhones sold through the Apple online store in Canada are factory unlocked. I don't know about the U.S..

I am thinking of getting an iPhone 5, and I've been looking at factory unlocked models on eBay. Before I buy one, I'd like to see if anyone can answer the questions I have so I can be more prepared.

1 - Other than eBay, where can I buy a factory unlocked model? Does Apple sell them? Or Verizon and AT&T?

2 - If I buy one on eBay, how can I be sure it's factory unlocked? Is there a way to test it?

3 - How exactly do sim cards work? Can I use the one on my Samsung T-Mobile phone or do I need to buy a new one?

Also, how soon do you think we'll see a price drop and are there any sales coming up?

1) Factory unlocked models only come from Apple. During release, the 5 was unlocked after a simple restore in iTunes. That's no longer the case AFAIK.

2) Buying on eBay is at your own risk.

3) Assuming you get an iPhone 5 from T-Mobile or buy one and unlock it from another carrier, you can swap the SIM over, register the device and it'll work.

The price will drop within the quarter of the iPhone 5S/6 release in terms of contracted price. MSRP, it most likely won't.

Thanks for the responses. When I go to Apple.com and select the factory unlocked model, it gives me the option of either T-Mobile (ships with T-Mobile sim) or Sim-Free (requires a GSM compatible sim).

I plan to use it on T-Mobile with my current sim card, but I may change providers at some point in the future. Does this mean I should get the Sim-Free version?

Thanks for the responses. When I go to Apple.com and select the factory unlocked model, it gives me the option of either T-Mobile (ships with T-Mobile sim) or Sim-Free (requires a GSM compatible sim).

I plan to use it on T-Mobile with my current sim card, but I may change providers at some point in the future. Does this mean I should get the Sim-Free version?
i always buy mine sim free from Apple,you have the choice then if you want to change providers any time.

Good choice. That's the way I buy my phones as well. I can then go to my local carrier for a SIM card.

So, one more quick question. Does Apple ever run sales on the iphone? For example, is there a chance they'll have a Memorial Day sale or Independence Day sale?

So, one more quick question. Does Apple ever run sales on the iphone? For example, is there a chance they'll have a Memorial Day sale or Independence Day sale?
i can't answer that,here in the UK we don't have that and the only time the price of Apple phones go down is after a new model comes out.

They do, but not often. Black Friday sales draw huge crowds to the Apple stores.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator