What's new

OK guys, difficult question here... INTL usage

themich

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm based in Europe and looking to buy two iPhones when going to the U.S., which will be soon. The phones will only be used in Europe. One will be an old 4G for my brother, I'm looking for a 4S or 5.

But, all possible options get extremely confusing, so I thought I'd ask you more knowledgeable folks for some well needed help.

So here I go:

1) What options do I have for buying an iPhone 4?
We basically use pre-paid SIM phones (GSM network) in our country. Which 4G Phones[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][/FONT][/FONT]/editions would work?
a) CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) is out of the question, even if they are unlocked/flashed/..., right? Is factory unlocked the only possible option? What about AT&T?
2) Same question, but for iPhone 4S and iPhone 5I read somewhere, but the source was dubious, that it will be IMPOSSIBLE to use a (/any) US iPhones on a EU sim-card GSM. Can you confirm this?
Please note that I don't care if it's jailbroken/unlocked/factory unlocked/unusable in the U.S./....
I don't care for any of that, as long as I can use it in Europe with pre-paid SIM Cards (excluding T-mobile and O2).

Can't be hard, can it?

Thanks a million guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

I'm based in Europe and looking to buy two iPhones when going to the U.S., which will be soon. The phones will only be used in Europe. One will be an old 4G for my brother, I'm looking for a 4S or 5.

But, all possible options get extremely confusing, so I thought I'd ask you more knowledgeable folks for some well needed help.

So here I go:

1) What options do I have for buying an iPhone 4?
We basically use pre-paid SIM phones (GSM network) in our country. Which 4G Phones[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][/FONT][/FONT]/editions would work?
a) CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) is out of the question, even if they are unlocked/flashed/..., right? Is factory unlocked the only possible option? What about AT&T?
2) Same question, but for iPhone 4S and iPhone 5I read somewhere, but the source was dubious, that it will be IMPOSSIBLE to use a (/any) US iPhones on a EU sim-card GSM. Can you confirm this?
Please note that I don't care if it's jailbroken/unlocked/factory unlocked/unusable in the U.S./....
I don't care for any of that, as long as I can use it in Europe with pre-paid SIM Cards (excluding T-mobile and O2).

Can't be hard, can it?

Thanks a million guys.

1) If you're buying an iPhone to bring back to Europe, your only choice is to buy a no contract iPhone or an unlocked iPhone.

A) Either editions will work if your device is unlocked. The CDMA 4 is only unlockable using an interposer like the Gevey or through a factory unlock. AT&T is a GSM network, and after unlocking, it'll work in Europe. Make sure that you can see the SIM port on the iPhone before buying otherwise its useless.

2) the 4S and the 5 are both GSM AND CDMA in one. there's only one "version" of the 4S if you can call it that. It needs to be unlocked to use international SIMs. And the 4S and 5 are unlockable with IMEI or factory unlocks. The 4S can also be unlocked with an interposer like the 4 as well, just make sure it's the Gevey for the 4S.

Your best bet, is to get an IMEI unlocked iPhone or a carrier unlocked iPhone to being back to Europe to use your own native SIMs and carriers.

Sent via my iPad using Tapatalk HD