What's new

3rd party adapters and cables

sashusmom

Reaction score
I just bought $25 worth of accessories on dealXtreme and it was before I knew iOS7 broke the ability to use them. Well, I received the package. I have one 30 pin to 8 pin adapter- that did not work on the 5 or 5s. I got 2 identical looking to apple cords with 8pin- works on the 5 with iOS 6.1.4, not my 5s. What did work on both the 5 and 5s was the 30 pin with jack to 8 pin adapter, nylon braided charging cables, and micro usb to 8pin adapter so I can use all my other android phone usb cables.

If anyone is interested, go on DealXtreme- sit and read the reviews. People will say what they work on. So for my $, I got 2 braided cables-10 ft and 6 ft, 2- 30 pin with jack to 8pin(works on ihome clock radio and my pig speaker), 3 micro usb to 8 pin adapters (all android cables now work), and 2 apple look alike 8pin cables that work on the 5 only. I also got a 2amp car charger, but not sure it works- forgot to try it ;)

Any guess on why Apple breaks the ability to use 3rd party accessories other than a money factor?

Apparently there are electrocution incidents in china and england from people using their iphone while plugged in. Some have actually died. I have also read about exploding iphones. Apple says this step will prevent people from using non oem chargers and accessories and therefore keep them safe, and apple out of lawsuits.

But I think like you- it boosts their sales and takes out competition. I bought a charging wallet case. It does not work on iOS 7, but works on 6.1.4. My husbands iph 5 works with this charger case.

In anticipation of two new iPhones for the wife and I (still waiting on them) I bought a couple of car chargers off of Amazon that were supposed to work with the IPhone 5. Never opened them, but found out after that reviewers said they wouldn't work with the 5s. I returned them and ordered a couple of chargers from the Apple store. Now the interesting thing is that they're not Apple brand - they're the "Just Wireless" brand. On the website they're said to work with the 5s, but on the package the 5s isn't mentioned. So I'm wondering why these 3rd party devices are supposed to work with the 5s when other manufacturers' don't. Since they're featured in the Apple store does Apple share some secret with them that allows them to work? Obviously it's old stock in old packaging or else the package would include the 5s. I'll only know for sure about the compatibility when we get the phones and try them.

Packaging is not important as there is no difference between the 5s, 5c and 5 most likely if it is on Apple website they have been tested with ios7

It's always best to buy certified products rather than cheaper products. Sure they're more expensive, but it's either you fork over the bit of extra in difference, or you fork it over when you have to buy a device at MSRP or 300 USD+ for a new one if it's covered

I have been using belkin chargers on all my devices for years. With one caveat, they are only spares.
I use apple chargers for regular daily use. I have belkin in the car and in my travel bag.
They work, but more slowly and seem to make the phone hot.
Hope this helps.

Some cables and chargers will stop working if you update your iphone 5 to iOS7. My husband has a 5, I have a 5s. What doesn't work on mine works on his- still on his 6.1.4.

Happened upon the answer to my question regarding why 3rd party adapters usually won't work with the new iPhones with lightning connectors, when Apple-approved do. From Wikipedia:

Official Lightning connectors contain an authentication chip that makes it difficult for third-party manufacturers to produce compatible accessories without being approved by Apple. Nevertheless, Chinese company iPhone5mod began selling an iPhone 5 dock charging station in October 2012 and claimed that it could "bypass Apple's authentication functions" using "cracked chips". iOS 7 enforces a block on any Lightning plug that is not authorized by Apple.

Last edited:
I can only agree with the comments in here regarding using only genuine cables, why pay out a small fortune for your device and then skimp on the all important cables, it's just not worth the risk.