What's new

ipad-iphone charge adapter

skypal88

Reaction score
hi, ipad charge adapter is 12w and iphone's is 5w. in apple's offical website there is clear explanation about charging iphone or ipod models with ipad adapter. i am wondering these: if i charge iphone with ipad adapter(12w) it charges 2times faster, but when i charged my iphone with ipad adapter i couldn't realize its faster. Whats wrong on my application ? my lightning cable is "case4u" not the original one. should i use original lightning cable ? if i should do this, i will buy new one. Also my second question is if i buy original lightning to micro usb "Lightning to Micro USB Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)" ,i will use it with a micro usb data cable (my brothers htc phone's cable). or should i buy the "Lightning to USB Cable - Lightning Charger - Apple Store (U.S.)" this one ? can u please explain me what's wrong on my application, most of people talks about they charges their iphone 2 times faster with ipad adapter.

The phone's intake is lower than the iPad, that's why the charger for the iPhone is restricted to 5W and 1A. Because you're used to the 12 on the iPad adapter, your iPad would seemingly feel twice as fast since it is because it's not being restricted when using the bigger block as opposed to the smaller.

The iPad adapter will charge the iPhone slightly faster, nothing ground breaking. A few minutes or so tops

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Ty for answers, but some friends talked me about they have used ipad charger on iphone and they realize its time reduces to half , charging 2times faster. is this definetely wrong?

Completely wrong. All iPhones are limited to around 5.6 watts of maximum input power for charging. And the .6 watts is to power the display in case you are using some kind of clock or alarm app and still get full charging capability. Of course if you start actually using the phone by playing a game, then the phone will take longer to charge.

so you mean, ipad charge adapter just works on ipad models

so you mean, ipad charge adapter just works on ipad models

ALL chargers ever made for the iPhone and iPad work on every iPad and iPhone ever made. They are 100% interchangeable.

works at 2A for just ipad models, i meant

The intake capacity for the iPad is 2A. The iPhone is one. That's why the iPhone is 5W/1A and the iPad is 10/2A (both rounded down from actual amounts of 5.6 and 12). So yes, only with the iPad will the iPad charger have a 2A intake on 10W

Don't quote me on the units. They might be volts instead of watts. They always escape me.... Skull would have to verify if those're the proper numbers but it's around there

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Last edited:
The wattage spec on a charger (power supply) is the rated power that the unit is capable of providing safely. Chargers don't "push" or "force" power, they provide power, thus the term "power supply." The amount of power they provide is determined by the device they are supplying. iPads need more, so they require a more powerful charger. If you use an iPad charger on an iPhone the phone charges at the same rate (assuming that the charger voltages are the same.) It's just not nearly as much load on the charger as an iPad would be.

btw, does ipad 12 w charge work on samsung models ? tablets or high screen phones (note II etc)

Technically it should. The USB power specification is universal.