What's new

2 - ringtones from same song different sections of song??? how to?

davidv

Reaction score
Okay - literally brand new to the site and walking out the door for work so I haven't taken time to search this site for the above info (sorry).

I have no prob creating or downloading ringtones to my iphone4.

However, a few songs have a couple of those 29 second tracks that I'd like to have as a ringtone.

What I've experienced so far is this:

After doing the normal for a ringtone up to renaming... I've recorded the first 29 seconds to the "song"... now I want to record as another ringtone, same song the 1:06-1:35 mark of the song.

When I try and "rename" the ringtone I change it to the .m4r extension and also try changing 1 character in the title or the whole name, but it keeps going to the ringtone in library as the original song name.

In the library it will play the most recent ringtone (106-135 mark) but when I try and sync to phone only the original 29 second ringtone is on the phone ?

What am I missing ? Any help appreciated !

Thanks all !

So your only renaming the ringtone and not making two separate ones?

Have you tried copy and pasting the Ringtone into a different folder then renaming it there? Then copy it back so both ringtones are in the same folder, then add it to iTunes...

Hey Gaz - thanks for the reply

As much as I know (very little)... I'm trying to create or make two different ring tones from the same song...

I guess my thinking of making them different has been just renaming them, just like you would any other file... change a letter or number or the whole file name it will keep the original and create another copy with changes made, etc.

But yes I am making two separate ringtones:
Example: I recorded 0-29 seconds of the song and dragged to my desktop; renamed by only changing the .m4a to the .4r; dragged from desktop to ringtone file in itunes. This file showed the song's title and sync'd with iPhone4's custom ringtones as well.

Next day recorded 1:06-1:35 seconds of same song (above) dragged to desktop; renamed BUT since the song's title was the same as the 0-29 second ringtone created the day before; I have renamed the ringtone completely as well as just changed a letter or two; then dragged to the iTune ringtone file and now each ringtone shows the same name (song's title) but they do play the different sections of the song. But when sync'd, only the 1st (or 29 second ringtone) is sync'd to my phone.

So maybe I need to try what you've mentioned (lol...that may be more than my old brain can handle); but I'll try.

I've got a buddy here locally that says he knows how to do this... so I'm going to try your idea once home and go from there.

Definitely appreciate your reply and help...

If I'm successful I'll post my (or your) "how to" on here.

Thanks again.

Seems like your doing it right. You may need to change the song name for one of the ringtones as the phone might not like having two ringtones with the same name, as it's the song name that shows up on the phone rather than the file name...

Thanks for your input...

Here's what I did to get the different ringtones from the same song; choosing different 29 second marks along the song.

1. After I had chosen the "selected 29 seconds" for the ringtone, and created the ACC version. I dragged this to my desktop.
2. Then renamed it, but only changed the extension to .m4r.
3. Then dragged this to the existing ringtone folder
4. Once there; I highlighted the new ringtone; right click "get info";
5. Then click on the tab "Info"
6. Under the "Name" field; change the title of the song as you like
7. Click "OK"
8. Sync with phone as normal, this was the new name/s of ringtones will transfer to phone.

Hope this might help if anyone else is interested...

Oh and the song I was working with was Buddy Guy "What Kind of Woman Is This" !

Blues