What's new

Ringtone question.

TheProfNC

Reaction score
Hi iPhone Forum - I have a new iPhone 13 that I am trying to put a custom ringtone in. I have a 29 second .m4r sitting nicely in
the iPhones library. I tried to drag and drop into "Tones" folder in left pane of iTunes to no avail. From desktop, from songlist
in iTunes, with my fist; nothing works there. I'm hoping the song on the phone in Library will be easier to move over to Tones
so I can get this Ringtone to work. Googling this is getting me nowhere. Any tips? Thanks for reading! TheProfNC

The easiest way is probably to use the Garageband app. Try a Google search ‘Using Garageband to create a ringtone’. There are quite a few videos that show you how.

The easiest way is probably to use the Garageband app. Try a Google search ‘Using Garageband to create a ringtone’. There are quite a few videos that show you how.
Thanks Aerofly - I've passed on that method hoping for another route. You see, I'm a PC user, a DAW user, my choices are FL Studio and Cubase. I just prefer not
to "RE-enter" the Garageband world. I still believe there is a simple route, but just like with iTunes, it's not always easy to find the answer.

I think you missed the sync step but here are complete instructions:
To add custom ringtones to your iPhone that are not bought from the Apple App Store, you can follow these steps:

1. Connect your iPhone to your computer using a Lightning cable.
  2. Open iTunes on your computer.
  3. Select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes.
  4. Click on the "Tones" tab.
  5. Drag and drop the custom ringtone file (in .m4r format) from your computer to the "Tones" section in iTunes.
  6. Click the "Sync" button to transfer the custom ringtone to your iPhone.
  7. On your iPhone, go to "Settings" > "Sounds & Haptics" > "Ringtone."
  8. Find the custom ringtone you just added and select it as your new ringtone.

Note: If your custom ringtone is not in .m4r format, you will need to convert it using a ringtone converter tool before adding it to iTunes. There are many free online tools available that can help you with this. Additionally, you will need to have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer to complete these steps.

I think you missed the sync step but here are complete instructions:
To add custom ringtones to your iPhone that are not bought from the Apple App Store, you can follow these steps:

1. Connect your iPhone to your computer using a Lightning cable.
  2. Open iTunes on your computer.
  3. Select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes.
  4. Click on the "Tones" tab.
  5. Drag and drop the custom ringtone file (in .m4r format) from your computer to the "Tones" section in iTunes.
  6. Click the "Sync" button to transfer the custom ringtone to your iPhone.
  7. On your iPhone, go to "Settings" > "Sounds & Haptics" > "Ringtone."
  8. Find the custom ringtone you just added and select it as your new ringtone.

Note: If your custom ringtone is not in .m4r format, you will need to convert it using a ringtone converter tool before adding it to iTunes. There are many free online tools available that can help you with this. Additionally, you will need to have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer to complete these steps.

Thanks Bear, that process dead ends on the “drag and drop” .m4r into iTunes. It refuses to work. I did however find success by finally using Garage band coupled with mp3 Converter. I could not tell you the process, but it IS involved. The tough one now is getting my iTunes library on iPhone. It all takes too long and is not intuitive.

Thanks Bear, that process dead ends on the “drag and drop” .m4r into iTunes. It refuses to work. I did however find success by finally using Garage band coupled with mp3 Converter. I could not tell you the process, but it IS involved. The tough one now is getting my iTunes library on iPhone. It all takes too long and is not intuitive.
Glad you made it work. When Iphone first came out I had a Windows PC. I had itunes on it and I am vaguely remembering that I had to add something that made itunes work with windows, itunes media player or something, don remember the name. There was no iCloud. It may not be as hard as you fear, I know there are instructions on the Apple site.

Glad you made it work. When Iphone first came out I had a Windows PC. I had itunes on it and I am vaguely remembering that I had to add something that made itunes work with windows, itunes media player or something, don remember the name. There was no iCloud. It may not be as hard as you fear, I know there are instructions on the Apple site.
Thanks again. I made some great headway, syncing iTunes library and all my songs showing on iPhone. Still having problems with the functioning of iTunes/iPhone side pane menus: music and tones pages are empty with no way to add to them, or see what should be residing there. Appreciate your help!