What's new

Wondering whether to upgrade to 5

noddy

Reaction score
I can upgrade from today and I was wondering whether to get the new 5. I have a 4S at present which is still working ok apart from the lock button at the top, which has no defined click to it anymore.
I did consider swapping the 4S at Apple but I didn't want a refurb. It's out of warranty as of today.

Going from the 4S to the 5 is a tough sell in my eyes. Considering the button you have that's inoperable... you're only option there is to replace it. Which, from a repair stand point, isn't very difficult. As far as upgrading goes... the 5 is obviously your only option.

In my opinion, you couldn't upgrade to the iPhone 5, as the iPhone 6 will be release next March, as said the button you have is inoperable, other functions are OK to you, right? so there is no need to upgrade to the 5 now
its very unlikely that there will be an iphone 6 next March.

I can upgrade from today and I was wondering whether to get the new 5. I have a 4S at present which is still working ok apart from the lock button at the top, which has no defined click to it anymore.
I did consider swapping the 4S at Apple but I didn't want a refurb. It's out of warranty as of today.
if it was me i would upgrade to iphone 5,its just unbeatable IMO.

My contract is up with AT&T and currently I own the 4S but I will not get the iphone 5 for the simple reason that it's also a dual core but slightly faster by a hair compared to the 4S BUT come September of 2013 when the so called 5s comes out I do know for a fact that it will be a quad core and much faster than the iphone 5 and the fact it will be up to date for an additional 2 years as the iphone 5 will be considered "old". The iphone 5 is an excellent upgrade if you are coming from the 3GS or iphone 4 but for me from the 4s to iphone 5 is not worth it unless ofcourse you want LTE. Also with the 4s I have high speed wifi at home comparable to LTE as well as my small business....and here in Orlando FL there is wifi hotspots everywhere from my cable subscriber (Brighthouse) with download speed as high as 25 -28 Mbps

kwatcha said:
My contract is up with AT&T and currently I own the 4S but I will not get the iphone 5 for the simple reason that it's also a dual core but slightly faster by a hair compared to the 4S BUT come September of 2013 when the so called 5s comes out I do know for a fact that it will be a quad core and much faster than the iphone 5 and the fact it will be up to date for an additional 2 years as the iphone 5 will be considered "old". The iphone 5 is an excellent upgrade if you are coming from the 3GS or iphone 4 but for me from the 4s to iphone 5 is not worth it unless ofcourse you want LTE. Also with the 4s I have high speed wifi at home comparable to LTE as well as my small business....and here in Orlando FL there is wifi hotspots everywhere from my cable subscriber (Brighthouse) with download speed as high as 25 -28 Mbps

How do you 'know for a fact that there will be a 5s and that it will have a quad core'?

A quad core CPU for iOS is 100% useless. iOS only needs two cores and the reason for that is very, very simple.

iOS is a native CPU based application system unlike Android. IE on Android you have to run the OS, the Dalivik Virtual Machine and then the application. That is three pieces of software running just for one application. And because Android allows ANY app to run in background, whether it needs to or not, it has to have DVMs running for each app at all times. iOS on the other hand only has the OS and the application. Very few applications are allowed to run in background mode, Apple has to approve them, and that means that one core is needed to deal with the user and what is being displayed with only about 1/4 of the second core being needed for iOS to maintain the rest of the phones features.

So until Apple has a major shift in the iOS core design, there is no reason to add two cores that will simply be using up your battery for zero benefit in operation.

Skull One said:
A quad core CPU for iOS is 100% useless. iOS only needs two cores and the reason for that is very, very simple.

iOS is a native CPU based application system unlike Android. IE on Android you have to run the OS, the Dalivik Virtual Machine and then the application. That is three pieces of software running just for one application. And because Android allows ANY app to run in background, whether it needs to or not, it has to have DVMs running for each app at all times. iOS on the other hand only has the OS and the application. Very few applications are allowed to run in background mode, Apple has to approve them, and that means that one core is needed to deal with the user and what is being displayed with only about 1/4 of the second core being needed for iOS to maintain the rest of the phones features.

So until Apple has a major shift in the iOS core design, there is no reason to add two cores that will simply be using up your battery for zero benefit in operation.

Forgive my ignorance on the matter but why is it that Android needs the DVM?

Forgive my ignorance on the matter but why is it that Android needs the DVM?

The Dalvik Virtual Machine is what allows a Java Application to run on any hardware configuration of Android phone. It is probably one of the very best and very worst things about Android.

The best part is; the Android phone could have any version of the ARM processor, an Intel processor or a (if they still made them) Motorola processor and the application would still work properly. The DVM would do any of the translating needed to make the Application work.

The worst part is; it requires more CPU power (as well as the battery to support it) and more storage space. The DVM has to take the Java code and make a copy of it that is streamlined for the CPU architecture to help speed things up. IE you have two copies of the executable part of the application on the phone and one copy of the graphic assets.

I went from 4s to 5 simply because i wanted 5,i havent regretted the decision at all.

Skull One said:
The Dalvik Virtual Machine is what allows a Java Application to run on any hardware configuration of Android phone. It is probably one of the very best and very worst things about Android.

The best part is; the Android phone could have any version of the ARM processor, an Intel processor or a (if they still made them) Motorola processor and the application would still work properly. The DVM would do any of the translating needed to make the Application work.

The worst part is; it requires more CPU power (as well as the battery to support it) and more storage space. The DVM has to take the Java code and make a copy of it that is streamlined for the CPU architecture to help speed things up. IE you have two copies of the executable part of the application on the phone and one copy of the graphic assets.

Seems like a waste. I understand the need for it now that you explained it.

Seems like a waste. I understand the need for it now that you explained it.

Back when it was designed in 2006 it was ground breaking. Think about how a micro-computer designed by anyone would be able to run the same application. It could have been the first step to finally unifying PCs. But Apple hit the market first and showed that with lower hardware requirements you could do more by using native code in an enclosed ecosystem. DVM never got a chance to be optimized to be a serious performer. Android phone makers all settled on one series of ARM processors. And they simply threw more power at the issue instead of the code. Google didn't even start doing proper optimizations until Android 4.0.

For me this subject is bitter sweet. The proverbial "what could have been".

kwatcha said:

Could you plead post the source that told you that the next iPhone will have a quad core processor and will be called the 5s.

Skull One said:
Back when it was designed in 2006 it was ground breaking. Think about how a micro-computer designed by anyone would be able to run the same application. It could have been the first step to finally unifying PCs. But Apple hit the market first and showed that with lower hardware requirements you could do more by using native code in an enclosed ecosystem. DVM never got a chance to be optimized to be a serious performer. Android phone makers all settled on one series of ARM processors. And they simply threw more power at the issue instead of the code. Google didn't even start doing proper optimizations until Android 4.0.

For me this subject is bitter sweet. The proverbial "what could have been".

I really need to get back into all this again. Just haven't got the time. I used to be pretty current with things. This is some interesting information. I'm going to look into it a little more now. Thank you for answering my questions.