What's new

Is it worth upgrading from a Iphone 4 to a 4s??

It still seems like a mix almost a 50/50 of ppl with iPhone 4 upgrading and those who aren't upgrading. I personally am looking forward to upgrading but I'm waiting for the 2nd batch to come in because i am getting mine thru best buy

apple addict, gotta love it

iphoneaddict1 said:
It still seems like a mix almost a 50/50 of ppl with iPhone 4 upgrading and those who aren't upgrading. I personally am looking forward to upgrading but I'm waiting for the 2nd batch to come in because i am getting mine thru best buy

I agree with you. A few buddies of mine are doing the same.

Oh wow I'm glad you said that haha makes me finally feel not alone with the idea of beening okay waiting for the 2nd batch, it's alot easier then waiting and camping outside best buy to go from a 4 to 4s I don't mind waiting a week or two or even three(not that I'd want too wait 3weeks but haha like I said easier then camping)

iphoneaddict1 said:
Oh wow I'm glad you said that haha makes me finally feel not alone with the idea of beening okay waiting for the 2nd batch, it's alot easier then waiting and camping outside best buy to go from a 4 to 4s I don't mind waiting a week or two or even three(not that I'd want too wait 3weeks but haha like I said easier then camping)

I don't care what batch I'm in. They will all do the same thing except being in the pocket in a omni-god.

SteveNYC said:
Ultimately, if you're not under contract, and you don't plan on changing your carrier in the next 12 months, I think the iPhone 4S looks to be a great phone.

I'm extremely happy to see the introduction of Siri. It is, by far, the single biggest reason that I am upgrading. With the work I do, I am constantly in the need for setting up quick to-dos and notes. I was genuinely considering an Android phone because of this feature, but I did not want to go down that road.

The improved camera and processor are also big benefits IMO.

Am I disappointed in what was announced? In hindsight, not really. While I would have liked to see the introduction of LTE, it would only have impacted me in potentially leaving AT&T for Verizon (because it would finally provide for simultaneous voice and data on VZW). But the speed of LTE was not a selling point for me. With these garbage limited data plans on the carriers, what benefit is there to blowing out my data cap even faster? Plus LTE is a known battery hog. No one has tamed that issue yet, so really, what's the point? Bigger screen? Don't want it. NFC? It will take YEARS for widespread adoption of the technology.

All of these phones are incremental. I think the only one that was a big jump, relatively speaking was from the original iPhone (EDGE based) to iPhone 3G. So iPhone 5 will be a decent bump from the iPhone 4, but I just don't see it being an enormous game changer.

If Siri doesn't excite; if the better camera (low-light sensitivity, 1080p video) is just nice and nothing more; if mirroring your iPhone 4S to your TV via an Apple TV2 isn't interesting, then skip it. Upgrading to iOS5 should be a pretty nice bump. Otherwise, enjoy the new phone. Don't worry about what gets introduced next year. Use that attitude and you'll always be waiting for the next big thing.

EDIT: Something that I had forgotten, but needs to be pointed out.... I would be far less interested in the 4S if I were on Verizon and had an iPhone 4. At least with the AT&T iPhone 4S, we'll see a (potential) speed increase. Verizon users would have the exact same network speeds as the iPhone 4. As much as a get frustrated, along with everyone else, at the dropped calls on AT&T (which are not as bad as they used to be), I couldn't give up the simultaneous voice and date feature and faster overall speeds.

You made some good point on the bottom of your post, well the actually the whole thing made a lot of sense. I have AT&T as well. I was thinking heavily about switching to Verizon. They have LTE and a reliable network. AT&T is just getting started with its LTE which promises a more efficient crossover from 4G to 3G, meaning it doesn't have two radios, one for 3G and one for 4G which is suppose to utilize the battery better. Sounds good, hopefully AT&T will take care of their network reliability as well.

Plus I have rollover minutes in the thousands, 900 anytime minutes, 1000 text messages, AND UNLIMITED DATA! Which totals $99 after %10 student discount. I'm able to utilize voice and data simultaneously, a feature I have come to enjoy over the years and have found very handy in many cases. So lately I'm asking myself should I really change, because I live in an area where the coverage isn't all that great, even thought they (AT&T) are working on it. I get I need to be patient.

Verizon has a lot going, but will I gain by switching to them? Especially if I'm getting a iPhone 4S, I guess it would be different if I was getting a 4G phone like the Nexus. IDK...

"Don't worry about what gets introduced next year. Use that attitude and you'll always be waiting for the next big thing." Steve your quote here really makes since. It reminds me of a simple scripture, "be content with such things as ye have." Thanks for your post.

On AT&T you will see some faster download speeds on 3G. It really is noticeably different. The phone is awesome. Don't hesitate to purchase it.

And the fact that you can dictate most everything on the phone including posts here, without ever typing again with Siri is fabulous!

schoff0310 said:
On AT&T you will see some faster download speeds on 3G. It really is noticeably different. The phone is awesome. Don't hesitate to purchase it.

And the fact that you can dictate most everything on the phone including posts here, without ever typing again with Siri is fabulous!

Thanks for the encouragement.

I would stick to the iphone 4 tbh if you already have one. Upgrading to the iphone 4s is a waste of time and you might aswell wait until the iphone 5 is released.

If you want to see a quick comparison you can check out my blog where i wrote a quick comparison

direct link: iPhone 4s released, worthy upgrade?

I would stick to the iphone 4 tbh if you already have one. Upgrading to the iphone 4s is a waste of time and you might aswell wait until the iphone 5 is released.

If you want to see a quick comparison you can check out my blog where i wrote a quick comparison

direct link: iPhone 4s released, worthy upgrade?

Your analysis and recommendation is flawed at best. Mostly because you are injecting an opinion vs using factual comparisons.

Examples of that would be:

Taking pictures of multiple subjects with the iPhone 4 camera vs the iPhone 4S camera. The difference in quality is quite striking.

Speed of the GPU. Games like Asphalt 6 now run at the correct frame rate.

Loading speed of applications. If you load say 20 apps in a day, you could save at least 60 seconds of time plus the app will be responding faster during actual usage.

Siri allows for you to do hands free texting and dictation. Which means you can be driving a car and handle everything without ever looking at or touching the phone.

I could go on but I think I have proven my point.

I would recommend before giving an opinion on why someone should or should not buy something, you should actually use the product and then present the facts. Because to be blunt, opinions are rather useless.

I've upgraded to 4S from 4, but I don't know whether it was worthwhile. Siri is nice, but I don't really need it. I have not noticed much speed difference, and 4 was no slouch speedwise anyway. I upgraded mostly because I thought Siri might be useful, but it's been mostly a novelty for me.

The other big thing for me was 64GB on 4S, which is great if you want to load and carry lots of stuff. I'm going to load stuff this weekend, which might increase my 4S's usefulness. I like having lots of music and movies with me, whenever. I have two 64 GB iPads, but I don't always carry an iPad.