What's new

iPhone 4s or iPod touch 5?

CannedBread

Reaction score
Hi, I've had an iPod touch 3g for ages, and now I think it's time to upgrade. I don't know whether to get the new iPod touch 5g for the bigger screen; or a second hand iPhone 4s, because it's an iPhone.

If I bought an iPhone, would I be able to unlock it, or have to use it on it's network? I ask this because it would be a lot cheaper to buy one from america (I'm in the UK). It seems a good deal to get the 4s to me since it was the best a few weeks ago and now it's a lot cheaper.

depends on what you'll use it for. I bought a 1st gen ipod touch back in like 08 and it still works ok

You can unlock an iPhone but it depends on what the original carrier is and what the specs are. Personally, I'd get an iPhone, and get a battery case and a battery replacement after getting a second hand iPhone. It does what a Touch can but better. Plus you don't have to carry around 2 devices around.

I would recommend an iPhone too. It does lighten the weight you carry. Not to sound corny but everything you need is in your Iphone when you're out and about.

It's up to you IMO. I use to carry 3 devices on me at all times. Now it's just 1-2. I use to carry my Blackberry, iPod Touch and my DSi around. Now it's just my iPhone and sometimes my DSi. I mean I don't mind since I wear this cyclist windbreaker 24/7 all year round which comes with a breast zip pocket that fits even a PSP Phat in there, so I just keep one device in my pants pocket, 1 in the lower zip pocket of my windbreaker and one in the breast pocket and still have room to put other stuff. Consolidating would help in 2 ways, less weight to carry around (I personally don't care) and so that you have less to worry about. I use to forget either my iPod or my Blackberry, now I know that I only have to worry about my iPhone instead of 2 devices.

Hi, I've had an iPod touch 3g for ages, and now I think it's time to upgrade. I don't know whether to get the new iPod touch 5g for the bigger screen; or a second hand iPhone 4s, because it's an iPhone.

If I bought an iPhone, would I be able to unlock it, or have to use it on it's network? I ask this because it would be a lot cheaper to buy one from america (I'm in the UK). It seems a good deal to get the 4s to me since it was the best a few weeks ago and now it's a lot cheaper.

Buying an iPhone from abroad may not be a good idea... you don't know what condition/state the iPhone will be in... unless it's brand new from Apple... maybe look to buy an iPhone local to you, and on the same network as you, you can physically check the condition of the phone before paying... and no need to go through the hassle/cost of unlocking the iPhone..

Bula said:
Buying an iPhone from abroad may not be a good idea... you don't know what condition/state the iPhone will be in... unless it's brand new from Apple... maybe look to buy an iPhone local to you, and on the same network as you, you can physically check the condition of the phone before paying... and no need to go through the hassle/cost of unlocking the iPhone..

You can always buy from eBay and if its in good condition you're set, but if not dispute the item and get your money back.

Last edited:
But in some cases, people are selling them, making a bit of money of the iPhone, claim that it's lost/stolen and will have the IMEI blacklisted. Always buy them from a trusted seller/retail.

This is interested cause my iPhone was stolen from me and returned... Last thanksgivings
My iphone4. Now w the 4S and have the apps and a password etc so If someone steals my iphone the Imie I can report to apple and AT&T and they will find my phone if someone tries I activate it?

Technically you can't triangulate a phone's signal without a warrant. The IMEI isn't used to find the phone per say, it's more on the signals bouncing off of towers.Or you can use Find My iPhone to track your iPhone using data assuming data is on

The phone has a GPS (don't know about the iPod touch new gen (5)). It has the same processor I believe and the potential for using as a phone.