What's new

Will not get new messages

sid316

Reaction score
My 6s will not search for new messages. When I seek new ones at the bottom of the screen I get a message saying "Account error" When I hit details it wants me to enter my password in "settings." there is no place to enter a password.
Any idea what is going on? The last email in my inbox was Jan. 18.

Does the website view of your email service show your new emails?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by website view. I have the same Gmail on my PC and it is working fine.

I mean don’t use the mail app on your iPhone but go to your email providers website and log into your account there.

I mean don’t use the mail app on your iPhone but go to your email providers website and log into your account there.
I don't think I can do that as the account is handled by the university I work for. If I try to go directly to Gmail I am simply directed back to my university account automatically. That is what I see on my PC and it is working fine. Would deleting the account on my phone and re-installing it be a possibility?

You could try that. Is your Gmail an IMAP account?

Last edited:
The built-in mail app
Well, I'm even more confused now. I deleted the app and created a new one. I have two Gmail accounts and now, on my phone, both are combined. It give me the option to go to inbox(es) but now way to separate them.
That really isn't so bad, but isn't there a way to separate them?

In the built in Mail app go to this view, and select Edit at the top right:
7CBB2ABF-DC25-403C-BAD6-15A3CA6AA700.jpeg

Then disable All Inboxes and tap Done:
56D27A45-6181-4DDA-8EC1-1D2363EA0EF2.jpeg

Reactions: 933