What's new

Will iOS 5 work in areas with less than 3g speed

metrakay

Reaction score
I would love to upgrade my 3gs, it seems to be wearing out. BUT, we only have EDGE here, and no expectation of getting 3G, much less 4g for years.

Thanks!

metrakay said:
I would love to upgrade my 3gs, it seems to be wearing out. BUT, we only have EDGE here, and no expectation of getting 3G, much less 4g for years.

Thanks!

iOS 5 has nothing to do with the cell phone service. What carrier are you on now.

I'm on AT&T... No Sprint service here (or, rather, all Sprint is roaming here), Verison is mostly roaming.

Best carrier here is US Mobile, which of course won't have it.

metrakay said:
I'm on AT&T... No Sprint service here (or, rather, all Sprint is roaming here), Verison is mostly roaming.

Best carrier here is US Mobile, which of course won't have it.

Oh okay. Like I said above ios5 will work on 3GS and above. I couldnt refer you to a good coverage but hopefully AT&T will change within the next few months for you

you can get that device that gives you 3G in areas with no signal, I know vodafone sell them

Thanks, iCrank and Unleashed,

I know my hardware will support the OS, my question is will the OS support the local service capabilities. I have a Wilson signal booster, if that's what you're talking about, and unfortunately you can't get cheese from a turnip. The nearest 3G signal is 25 miles away, and the signal booster can only boost what's there.

Some of the mifi devices can do 3G & 4G, but not apparently EDGE (based upon personal experience), hence my question. I don't want to upgrade to unusable equipment or OS... I can't find any information on the subject.

Thanks again,

metrakay said:
Thanks, iCrank and Unleashed,

I know my hardware will support the OS, my question is will the OS support the local service capabilities. I have a Wilson signal booster, if that's what you're talking about, and unfortunately you can't get cheese from a turnip. The nearest 3G signal is 25 miles away, and the signal booster can only boost what's there.

Some of the mifi devices can do 3G & 4G, but not apparently EDGE (based upon personal experience), hence my question. I don't want to upgrade to unusable equipment or OS... I can't find any information on the subject.

Thanks again,

You're welcome and sorry I couldn't be more of a help