What's new

Wifi works and then suddenly stops working...

You haven't been around iOS long enough then if you think that iOS 6 is bad about backwards compatibility. iOS 5 was FAR FAR worse. In fact iOS 5 makes iOS 6 look like the poster child for how to do it right. Seriously going from iOS 4 to 5 was a nightmare for a lot of apps. It took developers MONTHS just to figure out why their apps were crashing because the changes were so radical. With iOS 6 it has been mostly just a recompile and/or take into account the new resolution if they even needed to.

I have 197 apps installed under iOS 6. None of them failed when iOS 6 final was released. During the beta tests of iOS 6 only 1 of them failed.

Now if memory serves I had over 200+ apps under iOS 4. During the iOS 5 betas easily 30+ failed to even launch. At iOS 5 final release those same 30+ failed to work until they were update by the developer.

But an even better example would be Com2Us. It took them 6 weeks and 5 updates before they finally got Tower Defense - Lost Earth fixed 100% to run under iOS 5. And they are a huge developer house. In fact they released their first iOS 5 update of the game, with permission from Apple since they were a major partner, a day early so that it would be ready when iOS 5 went live. The reason I remember this so clearly? I had waited 4 months to be able to finally play it again because I had been testing the iOS 5 betas. Was really disappointed when iOS 5 final was out, I got the update and the game still crashed.

Oh, and those numbers are alarming. How do you possibly enjoy that? I mean, the failure rates... That seems excessive. To be clear, I mean enjoy writing apps for iOS, not your programming.

Oh, and those numbers are alarming. How do you possibly enjoy that? I mean, the failure rates... That seems excessive. To be clear, I mean enjoy writing apps for iOS, not your programming.

LOL. Because iOS is 10 times more stable than Android. Every time they introduce a new screen resolution just about every application fails to work properly on it. Or worse you get a phone with a SQLite engine that is different from the baseline. Or some hardware change like the GPU causes your app to bog down on screen refreshes.

Android is the better idea.

iOS is the better execution.

LOL. Because iOS is 10 times more stable than Android. Every time they introduce a new screen resolution just about every application fails to work properly on it. Or worse you get a phone with a SQLite engine that is different from the baseline. Or some hardware change like the GPU causes your app to bog down on screen refreshes.

Android is the better idea.

iOS is the better execution.

Yikes... I guess I'll count myself lucky for working in an industry that treats new technology like its the cancer of success. On the flip though, I have a recording studio in my spare time, and that keeps me busy with the latest and greatest. So, I still benefit from you folks willing to drudge through their issues. I have little to complain about really. Even if I knew about all of the 4s issues and iOS6 issues, I still would buy the phone and upgrade it again. I'm just weighing some other options before I go to the 5.

I'm having the same or similar issue. When walking to and from classes at Clemson, I'll be on the wifi in one building, and then walk outside and lose it, but when I walk back in it won't reconnect. I have to make it reconnect.

Also, I wish there was some way apple could develop the wifi to know when the signal is not sufficient enough to transfer data even though it's picking up wifi signal, and temporarily switch to network signal rather than wifi. There are so many times when I'm outside a building at work or school and I try and get on the Internet or something Internet related and it won't work because it's picking up a wifi signal but I'm not close enough to actually transfer data over wifi.