What's new

iOS6 & Wifi problems

lzeno

Reaction score
My son & I both have the 4s. Naturally we both upgraded to iOS6 when it was available. So we logged into out home Wifi and everything worked fine. I went to work and logged in at work, no problem. When I get back home, it will not auto connect to the known Wifi. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Verizon and they sent me a new phone. It does the same thing. Works fine if you type the password every time. Same thing at work and my son's phone is doing it also. Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas. I've done the check auto connect, hard reset, restart router, erased network connections.

Thanks for reading this.

Well, I know there have been a few threads on this. My suggestion was to change the channel you're currently using. I actually have no idea if it will help.

Do you use a password on your router? I would assume you do since you didn't mention a password issue but if you don't have one put one on there. Last thread I saw the guy said it was asking for a password and he never gave his router one.

Check to see whether there is an update for your router. Sometimes the new update isn't compatible with the current OS of your router.

Only had this problem once but a long time ago
Resolved it that time by Settings > Wi Fi > network name > Renew lease
Desperation measures but worth a try
I saw that Renew Lease option but I have no idea what that does so I haven't tryed it. I have checked with linksys and my router seems to be up to date. Yes I do have a password and it is rather long with numbers so it is a bit of a bother to have to type it everytime, but after I do it connects fine and usually stays connected.
Thanks for the ideas. I'll see if I can find out what Renew Lease means.

In wifi settings select manual as opposed to the network name from the list. Enter the network name when prompted and then the security type. I guessed wep2 and it worked. Then below the type will appear a password entry field. Enter and join. I experienced the same issue until setting this manually and it now appears to reconnect without an issue.

Renew Lease requests new data from the router, such as an IP address, the DNS server. It in no way harms anything and takes only a few seconds. It's a quick refresh of data. I've done this several times just to try it out.

This problem is trending on tech forums worldwide - CNET, TechCrunch, and 9to5 Mac. You're not alone on this issue. The problem is within the operating system. The OS isn't compatible with the router. I've heard NetGear routers are the biggest problem.

What is your router's brand and model number? (mine is Linksys WRT54G)

My problem was solved a few days ago. I thought I posted thanks for the help. I went to Other underneath the name of my network and just filled it in manually and since then, no problems. Connects when I hit the driveway and is good to go.
Thanks to everyone that helped me.
lzeno