What's new

Why Messenger verification codes?

rosawoodsii

Reaction score
Two or three times a day I get Messenger verification codes. I have no idea why they appear, and they're of no use to me. I don't use Siri, Safari, or Apple maps, so I'm not sure what's triggering them. Any ideas?

No . I’m not on Facebook. I’m referring to the Nessage app that’s native to the iPhone.

If you have two factor authentication set up for your iPhone, then when you try to log in with your Apple ID, a code is sent to either iMessage or email. That's the only reason I know why you get that.

Or if someone else has a password to a website login that’s yours, and is trying to use it to login to that website. If that login has two factor ID then a verification code would be sent to your phone when they make an attempt.

If you have two factor authentication set up for your iPhone, then when you try to log in with your Apple ID, a code is sent to either iMessage or email. That's the only reason I know why you get that.
I don’t have 2 factor Identification set up. Tonight I got this message: Your Messenger verification code is G-494830. I hadn’t logged in, hadn’t even been using my iPhone. This is just plain strange.

Do you use Gmail, did you login to it via browser? This looks like one of the codes Google recently started sending to verify that you are using its services, and no one else.

I don’t have 2 factor Identification set up. Tonight I got this message: Your Messenger verification code is G-494830. I hadn’t logged in, hadn’t even been using my iPhone. This is just plain strange.
If this is appearing in your Messages App, can you see the sender’s name or number?

No . I’m not on Facebook. I’m referring to the Nessage app that’s native to the iPhone.
Have you ever had a Facebook account? Even if you don’t currently use it, go into Facebook and delete the account if not used, change your Facebook password if you still use Facebook. It sounds like a phishing scam using some info from a Facebook ID to try to get you to click on it.

Have you ever had a Facebook account? Even if you don’t currently use it, go into Facebook and delete the account if not used, change your Facebook password if you still use Facebook. It sounds like a phishing scam using some info from a Facebook ID to try to get you to click on it.
I completely deleted my FB account months ago. Last week I deleted my rarely used gmail account. I haven’t received any texts since then so maybe this is resolved. One can only hope.