What's new

Facebook Messenger Surpasses 800 Million Monthly Users

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
Facebook-Messenger-2016-highlights-infographic-001.png
When Facebook's Messenger separated itself from the official Facebook application, folks were outraged at the idea of using two apps instead of one. Though the separation had much controversy behind it, Facebook Messenger is doing just fine.

On Thursday, Facebook's Vice President of Messaging Products David Marcus announced the messaging service hit a new milestone at the end of 2015. “I’m happy to report that we’ve made a good step in that direction, and toward the end of 2015, we crossed the milestone of 800 million people using Messenger each month,” writes Marcus.

In 2015, Messenger received a plethora of new features including; video calling, customized conversations, sending and receiving money, digital assistant M and many more not listed. According to Nielsen data, the 800 million milestone makes Messenger the fastest growing app in 2015.

All is not lost with Messenger's rival. Apple's iMessage has gain many features over the years and folks are patiently waiting to see what the big Apple is planning to improve with iOS 10 at WWDC 2016.

People are always outraged when tech they like changes - any UI update is almost always met with complaints. This seemed like a great idea to me at the time though, definitely agree with the disappearance of the phone number in 2016. That's been a long time coming.

We didn't have any choice in the matter so I'm not sure they should be blowing their own trumpet.

You could compare it to Apple's gift of the U2 album. They trumpeted it as the largest album release of all time, but iTunes users didn't have a choice in the matter.

Well, in this case, it's a bit different. Although I'm using Facebook, I don't use the Messenger. When I get a message, I login to Facebook in Safari. I don't like the app.