What's new

Why Jailbreak?

MC_Escher

Reaction score
Thank you for reading my post. I do appreciate it. If you would, please allow me to put out a few disclaimers first...

• I did do a search first in an attempt to find an answer to my question. I didn't manage to find one, which doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means I couldn't find it.
  • I DID find the Jailbreak thread that answered a bunch of questions... Just not mine.
  • I am a "technical" person... I'm actually a network engineer, but I have never owned any type of smartphone, simply because I never ran into a situation where I needed some functionality that my plain old flip phone didn't have. I have no interest in social media, downloading movies, carrying around music, playing games or any of the other myriad things you can do with a smart phone.

OK, background established, I think the real reason that I can't find an answer is because my question is too specific.

I should probably mention that for the next couple of weeks I am doing what the lawyers call "due diligence"; so I am trying to find answers to every question I can think of before spending any money.

Here's what I know:

a) I have decided that if I DO buy a smartphone, I will almost certainly buy an iPhone4s. I haven't made a final decision, so I suppose it's possible I could get an Android phone, but for me the "Killer App" is SIRI and that means its highly unlikely that I won't choose to go with the iPhone.

b) One of the main reasons I am leaning so strongly towards an iPhone is because... Well, you know how sometimes you have a nail and you just need a hammer? A really specific problem with a really specific solution? That's me. I won't bore you with the details... I promise. I'll just say that it seems to me that the iPhone solves my problem VERY well and doesn't give me a lot of excess stuff that I just don't need.

c) I've been with the same cell phone company for a few years now. It's Consumer Cellular, a "no contract" company (but not pre-paid) which uses the AT&T network and outside of bumping my cell minutes once I have never changed anything. Oh wait... I did upgrade my phone once... I bought a KRZR for $60 when my prior phone bricked on me.

The point here is that once I buy the phone and choose a plan I am most likely to simply carry the phone and pay my bill for the entirety of the contract without ever thinking about it. It also appears that the the few apps I would need/want are already available for purchase and I don't really mind paying a few bucks for what I need. Apps don't seem to be all that expensive.

So here's the question...

Am I a good candidate for jailbreaking or would I be better served by simply staying in prison so to speak? Stated differently, are there benefits to jailbreaking that I'm unaware of and which I would want to have; and if so, is there any pre-planning I would want to do BEFORE buying a phone and plan?

Thanks in advace for any help you can give me.

I searched and found these threads. See if they help.

why jailbreak? - Google Search

Also ~

come_to_the_dark_side.jpg

Jm -
Oh, so I don't even need to MAKE a decision. Well that's always handy. ;)

SP -
Thank you. I'll look through those.

If you don't need a phone that can " social media, downloading movies, carrying around music, playing games ", why would you need a smart phone? If you don't mind me asking.

Because of the things a smartphone can do OTHER than social media, music, movies, etc.