What's new

Jailbreaking Questions - I searched already, I promise

Supahrob

Reaction score
Hey there everyone! I hope you all are having a great day!

OK, I searched the internet, and searched this forum. I had many many MANY MANY questions. Now I am down to just "many" questions. Most have been answered completely. Some have been answered fairly well, but I would like clarification, others weren't answered very well and I just need better answers - and some were answered in a way that made me more confused. For THOSE, I will probably post specific threads. I would like to use THIS post for some general info. Please please PLEASE forgive me if you think any or all of these questions are dumb, lame, pointless or (insert your own derogatory adjective here).

On, the one hand - I have been building, repairing and maintaining PC's for nearly 2 decades now (A+ Certified and everything). On the other hand, I pretty much ONLY know Windows and PC's. Dont know much about Linux except the odd bits I fumbled through hacking my 2 Android based phones. And I know even less about Apple products - I have had an iPad since Christmas but have not done much tinkering or hacking on it. None at all, really. I mention that so you have an idea of my technical level - not sure if its relevant, but just in case - ya know? OK, on to the questions.

Alright, right off the bat - I hear Apple is about to release version 5 of their OS any day now. Is this true?
If it is true, will JB'd phones need to be restored to factory default before getting the upgrade?
I have purchased several apps already. If (when) I jb, will I be able to hook back up my phone to my PC and get these apps back on my jb'd phone? I dont mean that I would restore my phone, rather I would like to hook up my jb'd phone and sync through itunes just like before but remain jailbroken.
After I jb, will I still be able to use the Apple App Store?
Purchasing through Cydia: First off, yes I realize millions of people already do this, but seeing how this is my wallet we are talking about here, I gotta ask - is this safe? I assume I would be using my credit card just like through the app store, so I want to make sure I aint in for any nasty surprises.

ok, slightly more specific questions:
I keep seeing tethered/untethered when discussing all this. I assume tethered means being plugged into the computer via the usb cable, and untethered means NOT plugged in. Is this correct?
Seeing as how I have a Verizon iphone 4 running 4.2.8 (8E401) and I want to do this as quick and painless as possible - and freely admit to my newbness in all this - what would be the best, fastest and easiest way for me to do this. When I am done, I don't need to be able to lecture on the subject or give a doctoral dissertation on jailbreaking.... I don't care if I end up learning nothing about the process at all as long as it's done and works when I am finished. One click would be fine. Great, actually. I like simple.

I see the vast majority of posts saying JB'ing is easy and goes great and people have no problems after they have done it. I also see posts (here in particular) saying that most of the problems that ARE posted about, are jb related. Is reverting back to stock truly as easy as I am being led to believe?

I have truly learned a lot already, and I thank you in advance for your patience and kindness in answering my no doubt mind numbingly inane questions lol.

Finally, please remember - I did search. I know you may be able to pull up an answer to any or all of these questions. I could not.... at least not answers that I understood enough to just dive in and do it. I am hoping you nice folks can hold my hand just a bit more and help me get this done. Thank you for your time :)

Take care and have a great day,
Rob

I'm not much of a pro but If u do JB u will have to restore before u update and then JB again. And if u do JB do untethered because if it is tethered I think u have to plug it in to the computer everytime u turn it off and on because my iPod touch is like this. And those apps u purchased will still be there after u JB because it will be on the backup u r restoring off of. I do not know anything about the os 5 update though.