What's new

JailBreak on iPhone 4 IOS 4.2.1 Help Please

So if I was to use the tethered 4.2.1 JB I could just restore back as long as I have backed up on iTunes?

Of course. You don't even have to back up, of course you will loose your data when you restore if you don't...

Am just reading the 4.2.1 tethered again and might take the Plunge later. If I do I will be full of questions after on. Can I change text tones and if so how lol to ask a few

You can do just about anything. Never bothered with custom sms tones myself. you can download ones from cydia after you jailbreak or create you own but that's abit tricker if you've never used open ssh before...

Ok dilemma time.
Do I JB?
don't I JB?
Got the wife in one ear saying don't do it as you will break phone.
And in other ear I got my gadget devil saying do it do it lol

Just do it. Lol.

If your phone breaks just restore it in iTunes. Make sure you do a back up first and you wont loose any data. Problem solved...

Ok dilemma time.
Do I JB?
don't I JB?

My gadget Devil told me to do it, and my Angel told me not to.
In the worse case scenario IF EVERTHING fails worst could happen is you have to call Apple. Just don't tell em over the phone you jail broke it and they wont know either way unless you tell them. Im sure it happens but I have not really heard of a scenario where you have to take it in to have it serviced. What are the odds? Maybe 10-15% chance that failure would be that extreme?
You can have it jail broken by the time you type your reply to this. For real.
Just do it. We will all go out on a limb in this thread if the worse happens and stay up with you if something goes wrong. I should be here all night to help as im in and out not really doing anything. At worse If we cant resolve it one of us can call you from our phone to get you back in the right direction. The jailbreak itself is easy. Just download a 4.2.1 file (Do that now) and down load snow. Open red snow, point it to your 4.2.1 and click the check marks in the boxes you want and click next. The install steps will even help you boot it in DFU mode. You can do it. You know you want to.
Just do it.

Ok dilemma time.
Do I JB?
don't I JB?

My gadget Devil told me to do it, and my Angel told me not to.
In the worse case scenario IF EVERTHING fails worst could happen is you have to call Apple. Just don't tell em over the phone you jail broke it and they wont know either way unless you tell them. Im sure it happens but I have not really heard of a scenario where you have to take it in to have it serviced. What are the odds? Maybe 10-15% chance that failure would be that extreme?
You can have it jail broken by the time you type your reply to this. For real.
Just do it. We will all go out on a limb in this thread if the worse happens and stay up with you if something goes wrong. I should be here all night to help as im in and out not really doing anything. At worse If we cant resolve it one of us can call you from our phone to get you back in the right direction. The jailbreak itself is easy. Just download a 4.2.1 file (Do that now) and down load snow. Open red snow, point it to your 4.2.1 and click the check marks in the boxes you want and click next. The install steps will even help you boot it in DFU mode. You can do it. You know you want to.
Just do it.

Thanks gaz6076 and osso12

Sorry i didnt get back to you last night i had problems with my bubba and by time i had sorted it out was to late to come back, i have downloaded Red, done a backup, then followed the instructions as in the "How to jailbreak 4.2.1 (tethered)" post, i get as far as
Step 3: Start Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 and point it to iOS 4.2.1 firmware to proceed with the jailbreak. but when it looks for it i cant find the said file, do i need to download this independant or is hiden in a itunes file some where?

Have had a look at a few utube vids bt still cant get my head around it, i guess it is me being to caughtous but am getting there,and thank you for your help :D

Update 1:
ok, so the post about how to JB 4.2.1 post was not very clear so did more research and found out where i was going wrong. have downloaded the ispw file from a source, placed it on desktop as well as run Red in xp compat mode as im on Win7, so standby for details.

Update 2:
Ok. have followed all instructions from another site, i was able to Teathered JB my iPhone 4, had a few problems whilst doing so, as i was doing the home button+lock button bit i realesed to quick and it didnt reconnise and the phone wouldnt switch back on, but with holding the home button+lock button till aple icon appeared reset it and did it again, but all is done now all i have to do is have a good look around and make sure all works still.

Last edited:
ok. all was going well, untill i put on winterboard app and then it asked to reboot and the apple icon came on and then stayed on for like 2 hours, so have had to do my first recover :-(

Because it's a tethered jailbreak you have to run redsnow every time you reboot/turn off your phone and choose the reboot tethered option...

I knew is tethered but do I just keep pressing next or do I have to do all the holding the buttons the get it in right mode as that was what I tried and it just hung

I've not used the 4.2.1 jailbreak yet. As far as I know you plug your phone in and wait for redsnow to recognise it then choose the boot tethered option...

You need to run red snow on each reboot.
If you are getting the apple logo you are booting normal and probably wont boot normal. You want to choose the option in redsnow to boot tethered. (You have to have it hooked up to PC to tether hence the word tether) You wont be able to boot tethered without it being hooked up to PC each time.
You will get a pineapple icon... when you see the pineapple icon instead of the apple icon, it is booting correctly. Then you can access all your apple apps and your cydia apps.

It asked to reboot but I was unable boot with redsn0w as it went straight into the reboot and I was unable to switch off etc like it tells you to on the tethered 4.2.1 and so it messed up and I paniced as couldn't get it sorted and restored it then started again just left winterboard off for now till I get my head round it all a bit more