What's new

Why do I have SO many contacts when I try to send a text?

Janning197

Reaction score
Previously I used to be able to type a few letters into the “to” box for a text message, I.e. “Gor” and my friend Gordon would pop up, select and text.
Now, I type in “Gor” and EVERYTING containing Gor comes up, I also get old group texts, a LONG list... I have to scroll down... then finally I see what used to be at the top of a short list “Gordon”.
In summary.... why is this happening and how do get it back to the way it was?

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

It’s possible to remove group text from that list, by tapping the i next to them. You’ll get to the Recent list, where you can remove them. That should help a little bit.

If you don’t need the following feature, disable it in Settings - Contacts: go to Siri & Search, disable Search & Siri Suggestions, Show App and Find Contacts in Other Apps. This could improve the situation.

This seems to be a new feature of iOS 11, so it’s not possible to turn it off completely.

Apple will certainly be interested in your opinion, though, so if you have suggestions or a request, contact them:
Feedback - iPhone - Apple
This site makes sure they will get to know about it.

Last edited:
Welcome to iPhone Forums!

It’s possible to remove group text from that list, by tapping the i next to them. You’ll get to the Recent list, where you can remove them. That should help a little bit.

If you don’t need the following feature, disable it in Settings - Contacts: go to Siri & Search, disable Search & Siri Suggestions, Show App and Find Contacts in Other Apps. This could improve the situation.

This seems to be a new feature of iOS 11, so it’s not possible to turn it off completely.I

Apple will certainly be interested in your opinion, though, so if you have suggestions or a request, contact them:
This site makes sure they will get to know about it.

I disabled this, it did nothing for me. One thing is,,,When I go to send a text, I'd prefer JUST my contacts from MY contacts show up....its displaying as an option, all me emails (pesonal, AND work)....the work is killing me due to the massive amount of emails in the address book. If I could turn that piece off...I think that would do it.

It is also displaying emails, I've never even heard of...not from work...could be from an "auto add" on my personal email that, each time you send a new email, it adds to your address book.

Last edited:
Find Contacts in Other Apps will help getting rid of a few email suggestions. Everything else can’t be turned off. There’s no setting, and no workaround, afaik. I haven’t found a way to eliminate email suggestions completely either.

I know that you’re not the only iPhone user trying to find a way to show suggestions as before iOS 11. When enough people contact Apple because of a feature that makes it more difficult than necessary using their device, this could make a change. So use the site I’ve added in my previous post to send feedback to Apple.

so "Contacts: go to Siri & Search, disable Find Contacts in Other Apps. ?? I did that....no effect. So...two things,
1) when I type in "Gor"...as I type I want it to pop up things that BEGN with G then Go then Gor....NOT everything containing it
2) Who to keep the recently sent to and or recieved email address fro popping up.
the above two are whats killing me.

I agree with Janning197 (the OP). Sometimes too much is too much. It would be great if the message search function was smart, so that when I start to type in a search phrase it would at least put my most-used at the top. For example, when I start to type in my brother's name for a text message it should automatically start with his phone number at the top of the list. That's smart programming.

There’s nothing we can do against it here on iPhone Forums. We are not affiliated with Apple, we’re just discussing iPhones and their features, and trying to help when problems arise.

The more feedback Apple gets because of this feature, the more likely they will change it’s behaviour, or add a setting to change it.
So, once more, the link to send them feedback:
Apple welcomes feedback; they say it’s a way to “learn how to best satisfy your needs” (Apple.com).

There’s nothing we can do against it here on iPhone Forums. We are not affiliated with Apple, we’re just discussing iPhones and their features, and trying to help when problems arise.

The more feedback Apple gets because of this feature, the more likely they will change it’s behaviour, or add a setting to change it.
So, once more, the link to send them feedback:
Apple welcomes feedback; they say it’s a way to “learn how to best satisfy your needs” (Apple.com).

Im not interested in discussing it or giving apple feed back (aka using a squirt gun on a wildfire...useless) ....no offense. I just need the following resolved:
1) when I type in "Gor"...as I type I want it to pop up things that BEGN with G then Go then Gor....NOT everything containing it
2) Who to keep the recently sent to and or recieved email address fro popping up.

Now, if the answer is ....1) not happning, 2) can't do it
I'll have to swallow that...and be done, we can sit here all day complaining or debating on whether or not to give feedback or whether nor not they will even read the feedback, but that does not solve my problem, and the iphone is 1 of a list of issues I have going on, so I only have time for a resolution...sorry to be blunt

Im not interested in discussing it or giving apple feed back (aka using a squirt gun on a wildfire...useless) ....no offense. I just need the following resolved:

I'll have to swallow that...and be done, we can sit here all day complaining or debating on whether or not to give feedback or whether nor not they will even read the feedback, but that does not solve my problem, and the iphone is 1 of a list of issues I have going on, so I only have time for a resolution...sorry to be blunt

It may have been easier and more polite to just acknowledge the effort people put into helping, either possible fixes or how to effect change in future iOS versions.

I understand frustration, but it seems you may have inadvertently taken it out on some very nice people who just want to help you resolve your issue.

J.A. offered you a suggestion and it’s up to you whether or not to utilize it. We are not Apple or miracle workers, we are volunteers that try to help and make the user experience as smooth as possible when people like you come here and ask for help. If you don’t want to try out suggestions made to you or leave Apple feedback, that’s your choice, but your attitude is not needed. Maybe a suggestion you will follow is: don’t come to forums and ask for help if you aren’t open to actually receiving that help or suggestions offered.

You are correct, I appologix....I DO appreciate all efforts ...there just has to be an answer. yes i am frustrated, I've been up since Friday nite writing Oracle code...and it aint working so far...THEN I have 3 other issues (not iphone..other technical stuff)...I don't mind working this hard/long...but I feel like Im no further along than I was on Friday at 4 pm...on all my issues..AFTER all this effort and time....sorry!

You are correct, I appologix....I DO appreciate all efforts ...there just has to be an answer. yes i am frustrated, I've been up since Friday nite writing Oracle code...and it aint working so far...THEN I have 3 other issues (not iphone..other technical stuff)...I don't mind working this hard/long...but I feel like Im no further along than I was on Friday at 4 pm...on all my issues..AFTER all this effort and time....sorry!

And there may be an answer in the future,(doesn’t seem to be one currently) and that’s why the Apple iPhone feedback page was suggested so if enough people dislike the same thing, Apple could make an adjustment. The squeaky wheel gets the oil! Be one of those squeaky wheels and leave feedback, can’t hurt!

Good luck with your Oracle code. You’ll get it! When I was in college, the very first thing my professor told me in one of my programming classes was, “Little things mean so much,” and of course back then, I was like, “Yeah ok buddy, whatever that means.” Well one day I couldn’t get a program to run, so I called the professor over and he looked over my shoulder, pointed and said, “You’re missing a period right there.” I put the period in and what do you know? Worked like a charm! He walked away and said, “Little things mean so much.” And I said to myself, “Son of a b****!”

Anyway, hang in there!

Oh...you are exactly right, been there so many times and it still happens...but THIS issue, unfortunately is not "one of those"...where I'm at with it, if it were the little thing, it wouldn't work at all...its working but only 80% of the time....and I've been doing this long enough to know...what this means ..it needs more confining logic...the what n where is what has me....cause its all there...just not "doing it"