What's new

Ghost Contacts

Vikram Malhotra

Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to erase or delete old contacts from my iPhone 4-S.

At first I would simply edit a contact an select the delete contact option.

However, even though this contact would be "deleted" they still appear when I am using SMS and type the first few letters of the contact name. The phone prompts several options similar I the types letters and among them would be contacts that I've deleted. It's spooky and scary!

I realized later that the more effective way to delete a contact completely without its ghost on my phone is to first edit a contact by deleting the number and saving the contact without a no. and then deleting the contact itself. In this way the ghost does not appear in the SMS application.

My problem now is the contacts that I didn't delete this way, and they still pop up in my SMS app and haunt me.

Please help me get rid of those contacts. I really don't want them!

Regards

Vikram

I am so glad someone posted this. I couldn't find an answer. Having the same issue with my iPhone 5.

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

What about if you recreate the ghost contact and the try to delete it "the new way"?

What about if you recreate the ghost contact and the try to delete it "the new way"?

I tried that. Recreating a contact does not merge it with the ghost. They become two different contacts and whereas I can delete the new contact the new way, I just don't seem to be able to get a hold of the old one that is simply there.

Have you deleted the SMS messages from the ghost numbers?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Everything having to do with those numbers is deleted. For me anyways.

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

I don't backup my contacts to iCloud. Just my photos.

iPhoneMommy