What's new

Why Can't It Just Work? (!)

Reaction score
I am now on my second iPhone 4S and jailbroke it last night on iOS 7.1.2 with Pangu. I have a handful of tweaks installed and already performance sucks.

Why?

Why can't all this stuff just work? I understand that software stuff is pretty technical and requires a lot of time and effort to run smoothly. I can understand something thats just been created or released may have a bug or two, but at some point if things don't straighten out, I have to ask what is going on?

Physically speaking, iPhone is hands down the most precisely made phone on the market. I do not find another phone that is as visually pleasing. But in my experience, the overall performance sucks. Stock or jailbroken, data transfer is slow, internet is slow, navigation through menus is slow, etc...the overall snappiness is missing. Whether on WiFi or 3G, or both, its just plain slow and that annoys me big time. Jailbreaking doesn't really help that either. Tweaks claim to make things faster but it seems like a forced kind of faster, is it truly upgrading the phones abilities?

The whole scene just doesn't quite make sense to me. What's the point in making something if it doesn't work good?

Do I just need to give up on the 4S? Update to iOS 8 and re-jailbreak? Switch to Droid?

Anybody feelin' me?

Remove the jailbreak, re-test the performance. If performance is better, then you will have your answer. Honestly, after jail breaking you are using the system counter to the manufacturer designs, one should expect performance to suffer.. though there are those who would never make such an admission.

In all fairness, you are using a device that was released in 2011 on iOS 5. That's three phone generations and three (well, two for you) iOS versions ago. And, while Apple has never publicly stated so, the 4S "only" has 512MB of RAM.

All these factors do make for a slower device. The device's hardware was not designed for today's software (even iOS 7). Each phone is optimally designed to work with the software it releases with; in this case it was iOS 5. At the time of its release, this made it the best and fastest phone (hardware & software combined). Again, and unfortunately, technology moves on. I'm sure that, all conspiracy theories aside, Apple does its best to make newer software/iOS versions backwards compatible- but, over time, the hardware just can't do it.

I have a sister who is running a jailbroken iPhone 4S (on iOS 8.1.2). It is not the fastest thing in the world but she likes it because (1) it's paid for and (2) it's the smallest iPhone and she likes that size. But, she knows it's slow. She also knows her only option to speed up her iPhone experience is to buy the newer iPhone 6.

And that's really the only advice I can give you. While I understand an iPhone 4S on iOS 8.3 runs okay, the best (and only) way to get blazing fast speed on an iPhone is to upgrade to an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. I promise you - my iPhone 6 Plus is smokin' fast. But, again, it's the newest and bestest ... so it darn well better! :)

Sorry, but the iPhone 4S is slow due to its age and so it's never going to be an accurate representation of an iPhone today.

Marilyn

Edited to add: And, should you decide to remove the jailbreak from that iOS 7-running iPhone 4S, you will be forced to upgrade to iOS 8.3, which is not jailbreakable at this time.