Do you use icloud?

• Yes

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • What the heck is it? lol

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
You will be able to download your contacts, your apps, as for your musics, you will be able to download them if you have turned on iTunes match.

Ok cool. what do I have to have turned on to sync my apps to iCloud? Can I do it from my phone?

to save data of some of your apps to iCloud, go to settings, scroll completely down to see installed apps, tap on the app you wish to save your generated data to iCloud.
To backup all your apps to iCloud, go to settings> iCloud> storage & backup> iCloud backup ON> backup now/

Great thanks for all of your help. Now I just need to find a wifi spot to back up before I swap out phones lol

mach1man said:
What about apps? See this is my situation, I'm meeting someone at a verizon store tonight to pick up another iphone. I want to be able to download my contacts, apps, music right there on the fly bc I won't be around my laptop till later that night. Can iCloud do this for me?

Yes.

Before you go to Verizon:

Make sure that Contacts is toggled on in iCloud Settings.
Also make sure that no other email account does not have Contacts toggled on. (must be connected to wifi for iCloud to backup your contacts). If its already enabled then your good....hit make sure iCloud is the only account with Contacts toggled on.

As for Apps....yes....iCloud can back them up too.....but I personally think its better to keep that off in iCloud and download them from "Purchased" in the Update tab in the App Store. It just faster that way....way faster.

The music....depends on how much you have....and can only be downloaded from iCloud if all your music was purchased from iTunes.

I recommend you wait til you can get to a laptop to sync your music. But that's up to you.

So in order to make this process much faster while at the store....

When you get your new phone at the store:

Do not restore from an iCloud backup.

Setup as new device....sign in...and make sure that you enable "Use iCloud".

As soon as you get to the home screen everything that was toggled on in the iCloud settings will be there. Like Contacts.

ok so my contacts are connected to gmail account well that be an issue? Also I don't have many paid apps most of mine are free, if I were to plug in a blank phone into my itunes and sync it would it but the apps back onto the new phone that I have on my old one?

mach1man said:
ok so my contacts are connected to gmail account well that be an issue? Also I don't have many paid apps most of mine are free, if I were to plug in a blank phone into my itunes and sync it would it but the apps back onto the new phone that I have on my old one?

Yes....Contacts on in Gmail will cause issues.

Yes......iTunes will put your apps back on your new phone.

OK so I guess the best thing to do is leave my new phone blank until I can hook it up to my laptop

mach1man said:
OK so I guess the best thing to do is leave my new phone blank until I can hook it up to my laptop

Pretty much yeah.

I Never use an iCloud backup.

I use iCloud to backup my contacts, and bookmarks. But that's it.
(and anything that you toggle on in iCloud settings takes only a few seconds to download to your phone....but using an iCloud backup does everything else...settings, app data, etc.)

As for Apps...it's just much faster to download them from the "Purchased" tab from the AppStore because when iCloud does it, it constantly checking for extra data that was backed up with.

I find it's so much easier to jut open the app, and log in then let iCloud donut for me.

Ok but with my contacts synced to iCloud and Google will I have a problem if use iCloud to restore them? And with the data associated with the app is that like high scores (fruit ninja) LOL bc I might want that

Sorry for all the questions I'm new to Apple, Ive been using Android for years

mach1man said:
Sorry for all the questions I'm new to Apple, Ive been using Android for years

That's what I'm here for mate....to help people.....and to occasionally get help;)

Thanks again for everything. I sure have a lot to learn as far as iCloud back ups and just things in general. Really can't wait for 5.1 jailbreak

Thanks again for everything. I sure have a lot to learn as far as iCloud back ups and just things in general. Really can't wait for 5.1 jailbreak

Me either mate. But I'm not updating until there is a tweak that will be rid of the me iOS 5.1 lock screen camera.lol.

Like the way it's alway been.lol.

Me either mate. But I'm not updating until there is a tweak that will be rid of the me iOS 5.1 lock screen camera.lol.

Like the way it's alway been.lol.

BUT
BUT
BUT

Isn't change GOOD???

:D