What's new

What's the purpose of jailbreaking compared to rooting?

E_Sini

Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently got a Verizon iPhone4, coming from a Samsung fascinate. I rooted my android to get more acess to get free apps, have the ability to change screens and themes and install different software options. Now coming to Apple's iOS, i know nothing about jailbreaking or why I would even do it. I know it gives you access to the Cydia market, however I know those apps can be paid as well. So can someone explain what are the benefits and drawbacks of jailbreaking?

Thanks!

You can completely customize your phone. There are apps which cost money like Mywi for example but it enables tethering via a wifi hotspot which typically costs most people $$$ per month. It's cool and fun but in my opinion after a few months the newness and neat factor wears off.
It also voids your warranty.

Yea, That's what I was thinking. My buddy got his iPad 2 and was wondering the same thing cause if it was a big deal we would have done it together. Anyone else?

Hmm, the movie apps and such are some things I may be interested in... I might have to consider it more. are there any drawbacks to jailbreaking?

not really on topic here, but why wouldn't apple allow bitesms in the app store?

it just peeves me that a company can sell you something then try to tell you want you can and cant do to the said device that I OWN

personally...if i couldnt do the jailbreak/rooting of my phone,i would throw it out a window and go back to nokia.

Do i need to use greenpoison rc5 for my verizon iphone, or will the newer rc6 work now? I'm trying rc6 however it keeps getting to jailbreaking, then saying jailbreak failed... Does Itunes need to be opened?

Last edited:
iTunes needs to be installed and you need an Internet connection for it to work. All is explained in the READ ME file included in the download if you downloaded it form the official website...

iTunes needs to be installed and you need an Internet connection for it to work. All is explained in the READ ME file included in the download if you downloaded it form the official website...

Will it be any issues if you did it once before then restored to factory? My friend jailbroke once, then I restored to get it back so i could put my number and such on it...

EDIT- sorry, it was my work computer. did it from my netbook and it went right through no issues. lol

Last edited:
So I can wifi tether other devices/laptops with Cydia's miwi? Also, I'm hearing greenpois0n RC6 is slowing down vz iPhones. I'm currently on v. 4.2.6. Will greenpoison work for my device? I'm DYING to jailbreak. I had a rooted OGDroid and loved what I was able to do with it. Can you overclock your processor? I'm learned in the rooting/writing code for android lol. But I want to soak up any and all knowledge of the iOS as well. TIA

I can't stand when people get pissed that apple doesn't allow certain things. Its their software it's their marketplace. Of course they are going to control it. You may own the device but it does not mean they have to make the software accommodate your every whim. It's just the way it works.

Hello all,
I recently got a Verizon iPhone4, coming from a Samsung fascinate. I rooted my android to get more acess to get free apps, have the ability to change screens and themes and install different software options. Now coming to Apple's iOS, i know nothing about jailbreaking or why I would even do it. I know it gives you access to the Cydia market, however I know those apps can be paid as well. So can someone explain what are the benefits and drawbacks of jailbreaking?

Thanks!

I'm wondering if you will ask this question after jailbreaking your phone. I can't even name you what my phone is capable of doing. Can you download file directely from your phone safari browser? No. Can you download youtube movie from the youtube app in your phone? No. Can you upload photos to social websites right from your phone camera roll folder? No. Can you multigestures tasking on your phone and give some rest to your home button? No. Can you manage MP3 in your iPod on your phone, (delete, set as ringtone, send via email, open song with 3rd party mp3 app installed on your phone?) No. Can you 3d your home screen? Again your answer is No. My question here for you is, what can you really do with a nonjailbreaked phone???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. I'm getting ready to jailbreak my phone. Is this greenpoison pretty stable? That's the only thing I'm concerned about. I don't mind tinkering with my device, but I'm not gonna put unstable software on it. If the general consensus is a positive one, then I'm taking the plunge. So, greenpoison for vz iPhone, yay or nay???

Haha. I'm getting ready to jailbreak my phone. Is this greenpoison pretty stable? That's the only thing I'm concerned about. I don't mind tinkering with my device, but I'm not gonna put unstable software on it. If the general consensus is a positive one, then I'm taking the plunge. So, greenpoison for vz iPhone, yay or nay???

iOS 4.3.1 i jailbreaked mine with redsnow and it's working just perfect. Still, some apps in cydia are not yet up to date, need to wait some times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk