What's new

What's so great about an iPhone?

MksTn

Reaction score
Switched over from being long time Android user to an iPhone. I was going to get the new Samsung S6 but changed my mind and went with the 6+ iPhone. The main reason was that I have a Mac and and iPad.

I am finding that as far as phones go the Android is a lot more flexible and just about everything was free.
Apple on the other hand locks you down totally and has a hand in your pocket all the time. I hate iTunes and
apparently everything you do has to go through iTunes. Something as simple (or not so simple) as adding ring tones to your phone. Holly moley... still can't figure it out. Do I have to buy ringtones??? I guess I am going to have to spend hours learning all about iTunes and how to use all the features. I don't find it the least bit user friendly.

Phone reception is low where I live. Even my home network signal is weak which was not the case when using my Android phone. What's up with that?

On the plus side Apple does make quality products. They always seem solid, well made and work. For $850 I hope I made the right decision.

Have you tried the iPhone user guide? It will help quite well in learning the basics of iPhone use. Apple - Support - Manuals
It's available in online, PDF, and iBooks versions.

Among lots of other info, it has a section on using iTunes. https://help.apple.com/iphone/8/#/iph3df0adef

Ringtones can be bought through iTunes or you can create custom ringtones from any music in your iTunes library.

Last edited:
iPhones are more secure because Apple inspects all apps that enter the App Store and you cannot side load an app on a stock iPhone. Side loading an app from a strange website is like playing roulette, you never know if the app was reworked to include malware. People complain about the walled garden, but it is exactly this walled garden that makes the iPhone more secure.

Google has publicly stated that Android was not designed to be secure. Apple, on the other hand, works to ensure the privacy of its users.

I agree all the Apple products are more secure and I like that! Love my Mac and hate it when I have to use my Windows computer... iPad is OK but some of the new Samsung Android Tabs are pretty nice.

It's a boring and uneventful ride. I go back and forth between the two Operating Systems. I always come back to iOS because it just works. Yes, there's a lot I can't do to the phone and that's ok because in the end, I just want it to run smoothly without the Android jank. Does that mean I'm not getting a LG G4? Nope. I'm still getting a G4, but it does mean I'm not selling my iPhone 6 Plus when I do get the G4. I'll continue switching between the two just like I do with my G2 and the iPhone.

c
So it means that you like using both Android and iOS because you are switching between them. But if there is a situation that you you have to choose between them which one will you choose?
If someone held me down and said that's it. Choose. I'd choose Android. Hotspot is the main reason. Apple's hotspot works great with other Apple products. It does not work great with other devices.

As I use the iPhone I am beginning to like it more. However there are still some things that are way more
difficult the Android and some things that are not even possible. If it were not for the fact that I use an iPad and MacBook
I would have stuck with a Samsung phone.

Have you tried the iPhone user guide? It will help quite well in learning the basics of iPhone use. Apple - Support - Manuals
It's available in online, PDF, and iBooks versions.

Among lots of other info, it has a section on using iTunes. https://help.apple.com/iphone/8/#/iph3df0adef

Ringtones can be bought through iTunes or you can create custom ringtones from any music in your iTunes library.

I finely got Zedge to work but it took a while and was not what I would ever call user friendly. Plus One for Android.

The total app experience is much better on iPhone. Even most Android users agree with that. But it comes down to a matter of choice of need and want. You're already in the Apple ecosystem with your other iDevices. They all work well together. Once you learn how to deal with iTunes and the songs and ringtones, you won't feel so frustrated with it.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

There are some advantages of using Android like you said above and many others also like mostly free apps but iPhone is lot more secured as compared to android according to me. Also I like the user experience of iOS better than Android due to many reasons...
iOS has a simpler user experiance and for the most part, it just works. It's a great every day device that I like to carry, because I don't want to try and figure out how to make my Android device perform a task today. That's why it's my daily driver. At least it is for now.

The total app experience is much better on iPhone. Even most Android users agree with that. But it comes down to a matter of choice of need and want. You're already in the Apple ecosystem with your other iDevices. They all work well together. Once you learn how to deal with iTunes and the songs and ringtones, you won't feel so frustrated with it.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮
I have mostly all iDevices and yes, they work superbly togather. It's when you throw another device into the mix that you end up with a less than perfect solution. IE: The hotspot does not play nice with anything other than an iOS device. As for ringtones, I just use stock. I've made ringtones in the past for my iPhone 4, but due to the large pain in the behind doing it, and the fact that I just want a phone that works, I haven't tried to figure it out again for the 6.

I personally love iPhones for a few reasons ...good ones actually..
If I want to tinker change my layout icons and all that I hVe android I can use for that BUT I've noticed it doesn't give me the long lasting reliability that iPhones are and have been giving me.
The apps are made for ONE device not 20 different devices... And they work very well. Much less crashing (If any)
I've had note HTC and now the lgg3 (husband uses) and yes they are nice but I can not give up my favorite apps that is only in iOS.
You can have both worlds of course ,and see what appeals to you.
You can also jailbreak if you wish(I do not wish not yet)
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too was a long time android guy as well (G1) and I went from the phone to phone having to have he latest android my last phone was the Note 4 and I have to say that phone with out a doubt was FANTASTIC! I decided to try the 6+ because it was time for an upgrade so I gave the Note 4 to my wife and got the 6+.............there was DEFINITE learning curve with a single button with the muscle memory trained to hit the back button ;), the apps on the iphone seem to be a bit more polished, I too had a hard time with paying for apps that I had for free on android.

I have been on the 6+ now for almost 5 months and after the learning curve I admit this phone is pretty nice despite what muscle memory tells me lol, I decided to give the Galaxy S6 edge a try got that on Tuesday and by Friday I had boxed it back up but not for the reasons you may think..........it was because of the size of the phone not the functionality, not because it lagged or was FC'n it was strictly due to the size of the phone.

The android experience has been improved with Lollipop, the camera on that phone was awesome as well the processor was great, the battery life was not bad but it wasn't good but with the quick charge feature it made up for it.

But in the end I came back to iOS8 because the phone JUST WORKS PERIOD, I will wait for the g4 and give that a whirl as well I have not completely left android but for now apple has finally built a phone with the 6+ that I actually can get into and actually enjoy as a DD that I KNOW will work simply put.

Will it be hard for a hardcore android guy to adapt to the apple environment? I would have never considered the previous versions of apple 3,4,5 before but the 6 and 6+ this phone is a really great phone just like the Note 4 was when I had that (I would actually go back to the Note 4 as a DD as well) if you want a phone that IMO has been vastly improved the 6 and 6+ are definitely worth the time to get to know the ios environment.

Good luck with the learning curve I think you will see that it was actually worth the time and effort.

just my $.02

Drake

It's a boring and uneventful ride. I go back and forth between the two Operating Systems. I always come back to iOS because it just works. Yes, there's a lot I can't do to the phone and that's ok because in the end, I just want it to run smoothly without the Android jank. Does that mean I'm not getting a LG G4? Nope. I'm still getting a G4, but it does mean I'm not selling my iPhone 6 Plus when I do get the G4. I'll continue switching between the two just like I do with my G2 and the iPhone.

I'm totally the same mate, always swapping between the two os.

I swap as well but as of late I find myself more and more w the iPhone.... This will be a year in October! LoL I never ever went that long w ONE phone ever! So I have to say this phone has kept me happy

However I almost grabbed note 4 to try because I did have note 2.. HTC one and my husband has the lgg3 but now wants iPhone 6.... But is happy just not the battery life.
The note 2 had a great battery life and removable battery...
Both are good it's basically what the user prefers!
NOW I'm getting a hearing aid and this hearing aid is meant to be with Apple (has an app and integrates)....I am so glad I kept this phone now!
I'm excited on June 2nd I go and learn everything lol