What's new

Were important things fixed in 5.1.1 that compel a JB'ed 5.0.1 person to upgrade?

pianoman

Reaction score
With the advent of the 5.1.1 Untethered JB for 5.1.1 likely being released tomorrow (5-25-12) - I just want to ask any of you on 5.1 and 5.1.1 now that upgraded from 5.0 or 5.0.1 - - did the move from 5.0.1 up to 5.1 and 5.1.1 really solve a lot of the battery issues or any of the other things they say they fixed in 5.1 and 5.1.1? What compels me - successfully Jailbroken on my 4s and smoothly running at 5.0.1 to upgrade tomorrow and rejailbreak - and end up losing a day or more of time reinstalling everything? Is there a compelling reason to do so?

Thanks for any thoughts!

pianoman said:
With the advent of the 5.1.1 Untethered JB for 5.1.1 likely being released tomorrow (5-25-12) - I just want to ask any of you on 5.1 and 5.1.1 now that upgraded from 5.0 or 5.0.1 - - did the move from 5.0.1 up to 5.1 and 5.1.1 really solve a lot of the battery issues or any of the other things they say they fixed in 5.1 and 5.1.1? What compels me - successfully Jailbroken on my 4s and smoothly running at 5.0.1 to upgrade tomorrow and rejailbreak - and end up losing a day or more of time reinstalling everything? Is there a compelling reason to do so?

Thanks for any thoughts!

If you don't want to upgrade them you don't have to really.

When my phone was on 5.1.1 the battery was great. Every time a new iOS comes..I wait for the official tether tool...or an announcement that the current tool will tether it...then I update...and give it try...

While I really wasn't on it that long...I noticed a somewhat dramatic increase in battery life....but only after doing a charge cycle did I notice...freshly after the restore my battery was plummeting rapidly....after the cycle charge it was the best battery life I have ever seen on my phone.

But besides that...there are no major "noticeable" changes....basically every change made was the "behind the scenes" bugs....

It's not like there is some special feature that is just going to make the update awesome.

It's up to you whether or not the listed bug fixes and reported better battery life by a "mass" amount of users is enough reason for you to update.

I personally am updating to 5.1.1 the very second I have Absinthe on my desktop. (then I'm getting rid of the new lock screen camera.lol). I am very fond of good battery life...and with all the tweaks I have installed....I need it.

What you do is up to you in the end.

Better battery life alone is enough reason for me to upgrade. So I will. You're saying you need to run the battery fully down after upgrading and then a full recharge before you see the difference though - right?

pianoman said:
Better battery life alone is enough reason for me to upgrade. So I will. You're saying you need to run the battery fully down after upgrading and then a full recharge before you see the difference though - right?

You "might" have to. You may not have to. Sometimes you do..sometimes you don't. I always do if the battery starts draining fast after a restore...so wouldn't hurt to do it anyway.

The proper way to do this is to well..

1) Charge it to 100%. (doesn't matter the current percentage..just charge to 100%

2) unplug and use it...let it drain down to below 15%. (That's what the most common percentage is for this method....but I always let go down to around 10%-5%. Seem to work well for me. Just don't drain it enough to where it completely shuts down like 2% or 1%).

3) once drained to a low level, charge it up again to 100%, leaving it on charge for a good 2 hours *after* it reaches 100%. (This is the hard part. Why hard? Because in order to yield the *absolute best results* is to not use your device or at least as little as possible while charging. Especially when it's at 100%,..because then it will never top off or will not be topped off long enough to complete the full charge cycle)

During the draining stage from 100% before the final recharge it is best to not plug in your device at all during that time...just let it drain..try to avoid being in a situation where you need to plug it in.

Basically....if you cannot follow these instructions exactly for some reason...then wait for a time where you can,....going off the coarse of steps 1-3 will make the whole process a waist of time and won't give the device a *true full charge cycle*....especially using your phone heavily after its reached 100% when it still needs to top off on the final charge.

I thought I would chime in on the "why" this is sometimes needed.

First and foremost you aren't doing it to help the battery. In fact this whole procedure doesn't do a thing for the battery except use up one of its 400 full cycle charges.

The reason it is helpful is so that iOS can get a reading of what fully charged is vs fully discharged. Once it "memorizes" those two conditions it then builds a profile of its discharge rate which in turn is used to predict its current percentage of remaining charge.

Why does it use a prediction profile instead of a direct read? Easy. To get a reading requires the battery to be put under "a load". That load cause the battery to discharge. Do it every few seconds and you will help drain the battery faster for absolutely no gain. So instead they do periodic readings based on an algorithm to confirm what the profile prediction is vs reality. That is what helps change the profile over time.