What's new

3GS throwing me under the bus.

h0lms

Reaction score
Hi I need another point of view on this. Im a little bit frazzled, and I have gone over the steps many many times, in different ways with no success.

I have a White 3GS. I am using windows 7 64 bit redsn0w/iTunes perform all the tethering and remote unlocking duties.

I have my Black 3GS running 5.0.1 with no problems, I didn't see why I couldn't just upgrade the *new* 3GS to the same software level.

I have a SHSH blob for 4.1, 5.1.1 on the *new* device according to TU. I know all about Host files, App settings, preference deletes. Tiny umbrella, Sn0wbreeze, Redsn0w, iFaith, iREBB, Greenpoison, Absinth.. SHH connect, WinSCP p.list editor.. the works.

This *new* 3gs however has me stumped: 16GB SN:xx119xxxxx was running the stock 4.1. stock BB.

Immediately I located and downloaded the stock 4.1 IPSW and found the redsn0w (redsn0w_win_0.9.6b2).

While I was waiting I went through the computer and checked the host file, (checked with browser to confirm 404 apple: check)
Did a registry cleaning (Glary Utls, Comodo, C-Cleaner, and TweakNow) Ran Windows defender and turned off my firewall for the home network.
After the battery was charged up, I placed the device in DFU mode, and set to work.

I opened redsn0w, selected the IPSW, and started the JB process. It took the JB no problem. However I realized no 06.15.00BB change for ultrasnow with '9.6b2'
but it was passed off, as I was going to up-lift the device to 5.0.1 anyways, and that redsn0w DOES have BB flashing. Ok keep going.

After it was all done, I loaded up Cydia, upgraded and checked a few operating procedures to make sure the device was running good, and it checked out.

Went over the computer again, just to check registry cleanliness, restarted to be sure afterward.

I opened up '9.6b2' and deactivated the iPhone, when that was done, I placed the phone in DFU mode and grabbed 5.0.1 and opened up redsn0w_win_0.9.10b5c letting it run in the back ground.
I started up iTunes and clicked shift+restore, located the 5.0.1 IPSW and hit the go button. It got into the 2nd stage of the verification from apple, and I got error 3194.
I close I tunes, checked the host file. No additions to the host file. Closed. Back to iTunes.

I ran the restore with the 5.0.1 IPSW, and same thing. I then remembered the SHSH blobs, but it didnt make sence to me because I was going up to 5.0.1 not coming down to it?

I gave the computer DMZ access from the hubside, opening it up 'wall-less' and went into itunes again, same error.

I thought that perhaps I may just aswell go up to 5.1.1 now, as it has carrier unlock for the 3gs with ultrasnow and a fixxer app.

Short story is that 5.1.1 did work, but getting the carrier ulnocked was un-successful. The 5.1.1 redsn0w exploit did however change the BB to 06.15.00 of the *new* phone.

I decided to go back to 4.1, now that I had the BB unlocked. I restored and jaibroke it with success. Ultrasnow installed without a problem.
but when I re-booted the device, it would not fire up.

It kept rebooting.

Then the screen went garbled.

Restore gave me an error 1600. No biggie Time for a tear down.

After 30 mins, back together, ran the iTunes restore to 4.1, error 3194. Now I was really confused.

In a frazzle, I loded up a custom IPSW from iFaith, and restored to it *signed* and it took. However when I tried to JB it with redsn0w it hit a wall. (different IPSW's)

Since then I have seen just about every error in the book, its been pulled apart about 20 times, I have tried just about every trick in the book to get it to TAKE 4.1 STOCK.. but it wont.

It just halts 1/2 way through the restore process and hangs everything.

I have a feeling that I have corrupted the drive itself. If it were a typical drive, I would just delete the active partition, logical drive, MBR, and write a new one after error checking.
I WISH I could do this to the iPhone. Just get it back to a clean slate. From scratch.

any suggestions. Remeber BB 06.15.00 means no warrenty, plus its all on me. So if its bricked.. Its going in the blender.

Im sure I am not doing something right here.

suggestions..

You cannot restore to 5.0.1 without shsh. Whether youre upgrading or downgrading.

really. Thats a rub. I thought the TU was only for downgrading not upgrading.

I got another question. BB preservation mode with snowbreeze custom IPSW 4.1. Possible?

As in, seperate the MB from the battery for .5hr, reassemble and DFU restore custom snowbreeze 4.1?

If redsnow uses the stock IPSW 4.1, and the phone has been ressurected on the snowbreeze IPSW, will the two be compatible? Redsnow won't accept the BB'd IPSWs from 'breeze.

Just go to 5.1.1, reinstall the iPad baseband and then downgrade the baseband if you wish to have GPS capability, then use Ultrasn0w to unlock.

The only firmare you can restore right now is 5.1.1 unless you have SHSH for earlier firmware but since 5.1.1 has an untethered jailbreak and is the most current firmware, there is no reason not to be on 5.1.1.

10-4 Jmills87

I will start from the ground up with 5.1.1 and follow your procedure to the letter.

in the last hour:

#1: Dissasembly, un do ALL numbered umbilical contacts in order descending. Then screws.
#2: MB propped away from batt contacts for 30mins, timed.
#3: Re assembly, screws first, starting with main contact screw, then umbilical contacts ascending.
- set aside assembled & un-plugged.
#4: Built 4.1 IPSW with 'breeze V2.9.1 (not current on purpose)
- selected "preserve baseband" mode.
- Success!
#5: Plugged device in.
- iREB'd device into DFU mode using 'breeze script that immediately follows IPSW construction in 'breeze.
- Success!
#6: Open & restore 'breezed 4.1 w/ iTunes
- Success!
#7: Open Redsn0w_win_0.9.14b1
- Select IPSW 4.1 (non breeze, stock)
- Turn device off
- Select "Jailbreak"
- Entered DFU mode
- Success!
#8: Select "Install Cydia" and "Ipad BB"
- Start Jailbreak
- Success!
#9: Go into Cydia App on iPhone. (after setting up WIFI, date time adjust etc)
- Install all updates
- Restart Cydia App
- Success!
#10: Install ultrasn0w v1.2.7
- respring
- Success...CRASH phone after 3 mins idle.

startup loop x6, finally dark screen...

#10-1: Ressurect attempt no.1: re-install 'breeze'd 4.1 w/ iTunes.
-Fail, error 1600 (not in DFU mode)
#10-2: Ressurect attempt no.2: Run redsn0w to try push into DFU mode.
-Fail, USB error.
#11: abandoning hope...

I am suspecting that version 1.2.7 of ultrasn0w is causing an internal modem substrate malfunction within 4.1, device functioned fine until I installed Ultrasn0w, then went haywire.

Anyways, Back to step 1 then on with 5.1.1.

I will be restoring it to the stock 5.1.1 IPSW, not a "preserve BB version".

Last edited:
You have to restore a preserved baseband firmware when you have the iPad baseband installed otherwise it will cause a baseband panic in iTunes. Make a NO_BB 5.1.1 firmware with Redsn0w or a prejailbroken firmware with the latest sn0wbreeze(be sure to check "activate" in general settings) and restore that. Then reinstall the iPad baseband with latest Redsn0w and finally install Ultrasn0w through Cydia.

Jmills87

Yes, I drew a similar conclusion, and proofed it not long after. I installed the 5.1.1 stock, and it went immidiately into startup-loop.
I set out and built 2 seperate BB pres IPSW's (one in 'breeze and the other in 'sn0w)

I tried paving over the 1st attempt with the Redsnow IPSW, and it failed to even begin to fill the progress bar.

I broke the phone down again, and built a 'breeze version, BB preserve while waiting.
Upon installing the 'breeze'd firmware with iTunes, the progress bar made it to between the 'R' and the 'e' and held the spot firm.
Then the screen went garbled... still hanging.. no progress.

After 15 mins, no progress, disconnected and put into manual DFU mode followed by a dissasembly.

Now I am re-assembled, and attempting to load the Redsnow 5.1.1 BB pres firmware.

I'll keep on trying untill something works. I'm not giving up.

The conclusion is after multiple attempts at installing a BB preserved IPSW 5.1.1 with redsn0w and 'breeze is that it just does NOT work.

Not with THIS tempermental 3GS anyways.

I am going to spare the details, just because its exasperating. (error 14, error 21, error 1600, multiple re-flash, BB panic re-boots, garbled screen etc)

So..

I am going to go back to 4.1, seeing as how its the only version that seems to be getting me all the way up to the substrate issue described before.
This time when I get up to installing Ultrasn0w, I am going to go to v1.2.5 and see if there is any difference. Trial and error.

Why are you taking the phone apart?! There is no need to. Make a custom 5.1.1 ipsw preserving baseband with sn0wbreeze. Not redsn0w. Restore to that ipsw.

Ya, no need to disassemble the phone. If you are getting error 1600 it means that you are not in Pwned-DFU mode which is required for restoring a custom firmware.

Jmills87 said:
Ya, no need to disassemble the phone. If you are getting error 1600 it means that you are not in Pwned-DFU mode which is required for restoring a custom firmware.

Or he has a hardware issue

Heat.

Of the thermal type.

I've tried just about every method to up-lift this 3GS out of the mess it was in. While trying all these methods, and bringing up every trick in the book, I was bloody stymied. However, in the midst of it all, I noticed something rather odd.

When I started out JB'ing the device, it would always go a little faster in the beginning of the process (after it was left alone for a couple of hours) then slowly grind to a halt over the hours. Finally, I would be left no choice but to break it down, and leave it for a rest and the cycle would then start over.

It dawned on me today (after 4 days, figures) while I was holding a hot cup of coffee in one hand and a glass of ice water in the other.

Heat. The device (solid state internals) were over heating, which was causing the data garbled, freezing, halting and all kinds of other garbage. They (the internals) were getting too hot. They needed to be cool, or.. somehow made colder.. HMM.. thinking... Colder..

Eureka

I figured a little test on my older iPhone3G could tell me if I was right. It has a flashed BB and its always worked. I thought re-flashing the BB in the name of science was a noble way to dead-short....not that it was going to happen.. but I have never thrown a phone through this before.. new territory.

I prepared a folded tea-towl bed, made a little room in my freezer, and set up the JB process on the ASUS:

At room temp, the 3G flashed in cydia the BB at a grinding 11min 45sec. (whole process front to back) I slid the device off and placed it into DFU mode. I then, placed the device on its little bed, and carried it to the freezer.

Now, I knew I couldn't leave it in there for too long, otherwise condensation COULD sublimate on the warm internals, so I figured to set the timer at 5min and hey its an old 3g.. big whoop... Remember, SCIENCE..

The ding-er went and I pulled the 3g out, and hurried over to the computer to perform the flash. The device registered like lightening. BB flashed in at a blinding 4min 11seconds. Flipping around on the iOs afterwards at almost pre-cognition response levels while it warmed up. Turning it on and off, was blinky.. And restarting it took seconds.. instead of tens of seconds. (resistance, absolute zero, einstien, dr seuss.... dr seuss?)

Just to be sure I pulled out the face and took a peek behind. No trace of moisture anywhere... the devices internal battery must have burnt it all off. I was satisfied... enough playing.. lets get down to bid-ness.

I took the 3GS that has been a &^%$-around for the last 4 days, narfed it into DFU mode, put it on the tea-towel-cradle, and threw it in the freezer. I prepped a STOCK (yes BONE STOCK) IPSW 5.1.1 and did the system wide check (host files, registry clean, the deal) the ding-er went off. I rescued the chilly device, plugged it in, started iTunes, and shift+restored to the stock IPSW... and crossed fingers and stood back...

...It took... no errors, no stopping or halting. 5.1.1 first try. Deliriously happy, I slid it off, and placed it back into DFU mode, put it BACK in the freezer for another 5min. Just to keep things frosty. I got the redsnow loaded up the IPSW and went to the "jailbreak" menu.

I pulled the device at the ding-er. With the "cydia" and "flashiPad BB" selected, I hit the go button. Wringing my hands like a mad-man..
It piled the data in to the device with blinding speed just like the 3G. Flashed the BB in a slightly less 4mins 33 seconds (front to back), however NO ERRORS..

Every time I did something from there on that required a restart, if it started to jib-hang (start-halt-start-halt) then I put it on the tea-towel cradle, and put it in the freezer for 5 mins.. and when the ding-er went off, all the problems were gone. I am SERIOUS..

Ultrasnow installed, jib-hang.. into the freezer.. All good...

So.. NOW.. the 3GS is running 5.1.1, with Ultrasn0w on there, the carrier is unlocked. Everything works like it should, I managed to edit the p.list entries to access the data connection with the 3G, and all is better...NO problem.. now its backed up and runs like it should.

I would have to say that its not the devices that go smoothly that teach anything, its when you need to think OUTSIDE conventional thinking to get the job done.

Never EVER would I have ever used a freezer to fix an iPhone..

Here's an even better idea. My friend suggested that a "instant cold" bag would also do the trick, puzzled I asked what it was.

Of course.. A chemical cold pack. Endothermic reaction when mixed...brilliant. One could place one UNDER a device while its being JB'd
on the desktop... no fuss.

He used to race heads-up modified back in the 60's. Back then it wasn't un-common to have extra copper fuel rail coiled around the inside of an old JBhill coffee can, and hang that off somewhere in the engine compartment. You would fill it with ICE before the run. Said it made the old fuel more dense. Denser meant more power.

cheers