What's new

Downgrading 3G/3GS Baseband to 05.13.04

Thomasjtsi

Reaction score
Just to clarify what we're doing here... this ONLY works w/ the 3G (any manufacture date) and the 3GS (manufactured before week 35 of 2011) and DOES NOT apply to the 4 & 4S.

As Jmills87 pointed out here http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...difficulty-downgrading-3g-3gs-baseband-42433/, MuscleNerd has recently released redsn0w v. 0.9.14b2. This allows 3G/3GS users to effectively downgrade their Baseband from the 06.15.00 iPad BB down to 05.13.04. This is a HUGE step for iPhone unlockers since it regains use of your 3G/3GS' GPS capabilities and allow you to update w/ stock IPSWs again. For those who are wondering if you can update your 3G/3GS to 06.15.00 solely for the purposes of downgrading to 05.13.04, the answer is “yes” for 3G owners, and “maybe” for 3GS owners. "Maybe" because of whether or not your 3GS meets the manufacture date requirements for the iPad BB. So, let's say that you're 3GS is currently running iOS 5.1.1 w/ the 05.16.05 BB AND meets the manufacturing date requirements outlined below, you can install the 06.15.00 iPad BB, then downgrade from there to 05.13.04.

To determine the manufacture date of your iPhone 3GS you check the 3rd, 4th and 5th digits of your serial number. The 3rd digit is the year(i.e. if it was an "8" your phone was manufactured in 2008, a “1” was manufactured in 2011). The 4th and 5th digits are the week of that year in which it was manufactured (if the 4th digit is a "3" and the 5th digit is a "4" then your iPhone was manufactured in the 34th week).

Redsn0w 0.9.14b2 - Windows

Redsn0w 0.9.14b2 - Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive me, but I think you made a mistake at the beginning. It should read:
(manufactured before week 34 of 2011)

Last edited:
Forgive me, but I think you made a mistake at the beginning. It should read:
(manufactured before week 34 of 2011)

is it really before or after week 34 of 2011 because i have this serial number on my iphone

QR2161KNEDG
Iphone 3GS 8gb
Model MC555LL
BB 5.16.05

can someone tell me if my iphone can be downgraded to ipad baseband?

Thanks.

34th week of 2011 is the cutoff date, anything after that cannot support the iPad baseband. Yours cannot be upgraded because it was manufactured in the 16th week of 2012.

which means i can not use my iphone outside USA and there is no way i can unlock the unit. I am willing to hold with this unit until a software update comes (only if there is?).

a great thanks Jmills for the enlighting me.

I am trying to decide if I have the right (old) bootrom on a 3GS and am getting conflicting results:

1. Serial number is 869332783NP, which would indicate week 33 of 2009 and so safe (old bootrom).
2. But, model is MC135LL and I have read that for old bootrom model starts with MB; MC is new bootrom. Is that correct?
3. iDetector says NEW bootrom.
4. f0recast doesn't say which bootrom, just that untethered jailbreak possible if old bootrom
5. Redsn0w 0.9.14b2 on the first screen doesn't say "Old BR" and I am told it should say that if it is old bootrom. And when I click Jailbreak the next screen says "New BR."
6. Redsn0w 0.9.14b3 also on the first screen doesn't say "old BR", but when I click Jailbreak on the next screen it does not say "New BR" either.
7. I put the phone into DFU mode and used Device Manager to check the Apple Mobile Device USB driver properties, on the details tab looked for Device Instance Path but there is no such option, so could not use that route at all to determine old vs new bootrom.

So, which one of these should I trust? I thought the serial number was the definitive way to tell (except in a certain grey area), but it is not consistent with what the other methods are saying and even the 2 versions of Reds0w don't give the same answer.

Thanks.