What's new

Water Damage and Rice?

ijotaka

Reaction score
Ok... this is a complicating story, but my phone got in some water... 5 days ago :( by my wife.... I accidentally left in on the kitchen counter, right before I was leaving for a trip to see family for a few days, and so I accidentally left it there.

My wife supposedly dropped it in the sink, while she was cleaning... and then she didn't know what to do... and since our internet was down, she couldn't do anything.

Anyways, I get back... and she said it is broke by water damage, it won't come on, and yeah... So, I went and got some rice, and now my phone is in the rice. When I shook the phone, I could hear water in it still and so now, it is in rice.

Do you think it will be ok? Our phones are not available for any upgrades, and so prices are very high. I do not have any screwdrivers that will fit an iPhone 5, and since it has been 5 days, I am not wanting to wait any longer.

The question really is: Although my phone has been water damaged for 5 days... and now that it is in rice... do you think it will start to work if I leave it in rice, for a few more days??

Thanks.

If your phone was in water long enough that you can hear water in it when you shake it then I doubt the rice method will help It sounds like it was well imersed, By all means leave it in the rice for as long as possible as anything is worth trying, Please let us know how it goes.

If your phone was in water long enough that you can hear water in it when you shake it then I doubt the rice method will help It sounds like it was well imersed, By all means leave it in the rice for as long as possible as anything is worth trying, Please let us know how it goes.

The water sound isn't a whole lot, you can barely hear it... but it sounds like a little bit is in there. I'll keep updates.

The water sound isn't a whole lot, you can barely hear it... but it sounds like a little bit is in there. I'll keep updates.
Yes let us know, leave it in there for a few more days, Good luck, I hope it works for you.

Yes let us know, leave it in there for a few more days, Good luck, I hope it works for you.

Any suggestions? Of course, it has been almost 2 weeks, so it is probably way too late.

Any suggestions? Of course, it has been almost 2 weeks, so it is probably way too late.
The only suggestion I have is to take it to an Apple store, From what I understand you can have an exchange for a fixed fee, I'm not sure how much that is but it's worth asking, It will be cheaper than buying a new phone.

When you get another phone, you may want to invest in a nice waterproof case. The Otterbox Preserver and the Lifeproof are good ones.