What's new

Help water damage 4s LED stays on

aan16

Reaction score
Hi there!

My iPhone got water damaged. I dropped it in the toilet but recoverd it in less than 5 seconds.

I tried shutting it down but it would keep turning back on by itself. Also, the LED light was on and I could not get it to go off even with the flashlight option turned on and off. I put it in a container of rice and I was finally able to shut it down. The light still wouldn't go off. I tried smashing it ''softly'' and it did turn it off so I thought I just had to leave it in the rice for 24 hours now that it was turned off and that the light was out. But, the light turned back on I can see it through the rice even though the device is off. Sometimes it goes out for 1-2 seconds, blinks and even dims a bit but it's strong enough that I can see it through the rice.

What should I do now ?

Thanks in advance!​

Please refrain from posting more than once, Only post once per issue, More than one post is against forum rules and just fragments any helpful replies. Thank you.

Didn't know. Thanks for deleting the other ones, I guess this one is the one my post should be in.

Didn't know. Thanks for deleting the other ones, I guess this one is the one my post should be in.
Yes you're in the right place, The only advice i can give is to keep it in the dry rice for a few days to make sure all the moisture is gone.

Having killed my fair share of iPhone 4s, I'm sorry to tell you I reckon the odds on it working correctly are less than 10%
I even killed one with a rain drop down the headphone socket

And my AppleCare+ warranty ended 13 days ago :( do you know of any other options through the Apple Store? Is there any way to get one that they put back together, not the brand new ones (sorry I speak french as my first language so I don't know how they call it in english), for cheaper ? Have any of you heard of this option ?

Thanks again for your help, it is still in rice, I'm hoping for the best !

Here in the UK you can go to the Apple store and get a Reconditioned replacement for a fixed amount, It would certainly be worth asking about it.

And my AppleCare+ warranty ended 13 days ago :( do you know of any other options through the Apple Store? Is there any way to get one that they put back together, not the brand new ones (sorry I speak french as my first language so I don't know how they call it in english), for cheaper ? Have any of you heard of this option ? Thanks again for your help, it is still in rice, I'm hoping for the best !
The cost for Apple to repair your iPhone, if it can be repaired, is about half the cost of a new device. Apple also sells refurbished devices at a discount from the new retail price. You could try looking in their online store under refurbished to see if any are currently available. You might also consider a new or refurbished iPhone 5 or 5S. Refurbished devices come with the same 1 year warranty as new devices.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated ! So I took a chance and took it out of the rice to try it out, works perfectly fine, even the speakers work, phone calls I didn't get any problems, internet is working, the texts work also but the only thing that is still not working is the freaking light. It is now really dim but I tried everything, light apps, the flash on photos and videos, etc. IT WONT GO OFFFF now I sense if I keep it that way it'll drain out my battery :( Do you guys know of any tips or tricks to stop this from happening ?

Thanks again for your help :)

try restore the sw using dfu mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk