What's new

Does anyone have experience with a water damaged iphone?

OriginalGranny

Reaction score
A while ago(1-2 months) I dropped my phone in a puddle of fresh water and then let it dry out in rice. Well a couple of days ago I got my screen changed and today my phone just shut off and wont turn back on. I tried holding down the home button and the sleep button but to no avail. Any tips or advice?

A while ago(1-2 months) I dropped my phone in a puddle of fresh water and then let it dry out in rice. Well a couple of days ago I got my screen changed and today my phone just shut off and wont turn back on. I tried holding down the home button and the sleep button but to no avail. Any tips or advice?

Is the new screen an original screen? If it isn't it could be the reason you are having problems.

Last edited:
Is the new screen an original screen? If it isn't it could be the reason you are having problems.

No, It was most likely a ripoff made in china. I don't think its the screen though because when I flip the vibrate thing it doesn't do anything where if the phone itself was working it would make the phone vibrate once.

No, It was most likely a ripoff made in china. I don't think its the screen though because when I flip the vibrate thing it doesn't do anything where if the phone itself was working it would make the phone vibrate once.

It's very easy to damage other components of the iPhone when changing the screen, especially if the person doing the work has little experience.

It's very easy to damage other components of the iPhone when changing the screen, especially if the person doing the work has little experience.

Idk, it was one of the booths in the mall and he does maybe 5+ a day so I think he did have the experience. Is it possible that some of the water somehow did not dry and when he took it apart it leaked into other compartments?

Idk, it was one of the booths in the mall and he does maybe 5+ a day so I think he did have the experience. Is it possible that some of the water somehow did not dry and when he took it apart it leaked into other compartments?

It's quite possible that slow, ongoing corrosion of the circuitry as a result of the water damage caused the failures. An iPhone that seemingly operates normally can fail at a later date because of this.

Yeah, I was due for an upgrade anyway but I was trying to save it for the new iphone. Oh well, onto the 5 for me, thanks for your help anyway.

Try throwing it in a bowl of uncooked rice am stick it in the oven with the door cracked open an set the temp at the lowest setting. Leave it there for a while check on it make sure you don't melt it down. The rice will pull the moisture out and the heat will take the moisture out of the rice and leave a dry phone.

There is a chance that when the phone was given a replacement screen the tech messed something else up. You should bring it back to the repair shop and ask them to remove the corrosion that the water could have caused from before. They might charge you, but it will be worth it to fix your phone. A lot of times, repair shops will not charge for this service unless it actually fixes the phone.