What's new

water damage wierd question

bisquitpants

Reaction score
So i went wakeboarding with my iphone 4s :/ Me, being the total idiot that I am, tried turning it on a bunch of times with no luck. But I just noticed the led flash for the camera came on, then shut off 3 minutes later. and i used to be able to feel the phone vibrate when i tried to mute it, but now I cant. I also looked and I didn't see the red water damage indicators in the inputs. Also just to note I had a nice otterbox on it when i went swimming with it, and it seems like the only place water could really get in are the speakers. I have no idea what to do, and thanks in advance.

The damage is probably already done, but you could try this as a last ditch attempt to get it going again. Turn it off, and leave it off. Pack it in rice, or better still, silica gel, and leave it for about a week. Try turning it on after this period and see what happens. You may be lucky, but don't rise to temptation and try turning it on until it's had a chance to dry out. Every time you turn it on you risk further damage.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Any advice on the led flash light? it flickers on and off, or just stays on. It's fully on as i'm typing this

The damage is probably already done, but you could try this as a last ditch attempt to get it going again. Turn it off, and leave it off. Pack it in rice, or better still, silica gel, and leave it for about a week. Try turning it on after this period and see what happens. You may be lucky, but don't rise to temptation and try turning it on until it's had a chance to dry out. Every time you turn it on you risk further damage.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Very helpful tip, Kevin!

I'm not gonna sugar coat anything for ya... it honestly sounds like you've done your 4S in for good. If your LED flash is staying on, flickering, and doing odd stuff as such... the water damage has already set in. However, as Kevin suggested above, pack it in rice (or the silica gel packs) for as long as possible... in hopes of absorbing the mositure. Good luck!!

So after a week I realize lady luck has frowned upon me, does anyone know any good places to repair it? Or is it repairable? I know apple's warranty doesn't cover it so i'd be looking for an outside source, I think.

bisquitpants said:
....I know apple's warranty doesn't cover it so i'd be looking for an outside source, I think.

Depends, did you have AppleCare+ on it? It would cover it.

So after a week I realize lady luck has frowned upon me, does anyone know any good places to repair it? Or is it repairable? I know apple's warranty doesn't cover it so i'd be looking for an outside source, I think.
Unfortunately, the chances of bring a water logged iPhone (or any phone for that matter) back to life after a swim... are pretty slim. If you choose to go that route you'll most likely spend more $$ in replacement parts and labor than you would if you sold the current iPhone for **PARTS ONLY** and used that plus a little $$ to get a new one.

What if the both the red water indicators haven't turned red yet? Does apple still know its water damage? And how would I go about selling the parts of my iphone?

bisquitpants said:
What if the both the red water indicators haven't turned red yet? Does apple still know its water damage? And how would I go about selling the parts of my iphone?

You can always plead ignorance and see what they say.