What's new

Sorry it's been asked 100X before but: iPhone 4's that go for a swim

Shonnie

Reaction score
Yep, same old story climbing through a fence and plop in it goes into a puddle. Pull it straight out and turn it off shake as much water out of it as possible and blow a bit more out of the sockets. Accidentally turn it back on when shaking it and panic (lol) but it seemed to work alright except for the 'accessory is not optimised for product' notification coming up (when it wasn't plugged into anything) dismiss that and turn it off again. Was in my car so put it on the dash and turned the heater on until I got home. Put it in front of the heater for about 1/2 hour then checked the water indicators. The bottom one is only half on and the top one where you plug the headphones in I can't see it on... So I don't think it's been activated? Put it in a bag of uncooked rice and now I'm sitting here staring at it... Should I wait 24hrs before I try turn it back on, even though it doesn't seem to be damaged?? And if it is, is it true that Apple will replace it for a fee if you take it in to a store?

Yep, same old story climbing through a fence and plop in it goes into a puddle. Pull it straight out and turn it off shake as much water out of it as possible and blow a bit more out of the sockets. Accidentally turn it back on when shaking it and panic (lol) but it seemed to work alright except for the 'accessory is not optimised for product' notification coming up (when it wasn't plugged into anything) dismiss that and turn it off again. Was in my car so put it on the dash and turned the heater on until I got home. Put it in front of the heater for about 1/2 hour then checked the water indicators. The bottom one is only half on and the top one where you plug the headphones in I can't see it on... So I don't think it's been activated? Put it in a bag of uncooked rice and now I'm sitting here staring at it... Should I wait 24hrs before I try turn it back on, even though it doesn't seem to be damaged?? And if it is, is it true that Apple will replace it for a fee if you take it in to a store?
If water Damaged apple will charge you £140 pounds to replace it. And it was a very bad plan of trying to dry Iphone with a heater that can mess up it's mb. And digitiser of phone bad move.

Welcome to our forums and I hope the following will help. Place phone in a sealed container full of rice leave for a few days. Then place on charge, complete a full reset using home button and on/off button at same time until Apple logo appears. Keep trying if that does not work. Best of luck. Ps don't eat the rice

Haha thanks Col, I won't eat the rice :p So upset I hope it turns back on :(

Lmao thats water damage for ya. Darn iphone and it's cut out.

You know if this don't fix it. take it to a mobile phone shop as they can fix water damage at a fraction of the cost to a replacement phone.

Are you saying the iPhone 4 has water indicators? When I look down the headphone jack it looks silver to me not white and when I look at the dock I don't see any type of indicator. If there are indicators would you have thought this would have been mentioned to the many that have these phones? It's pretty important and like so many I stumble across this. Is apple about making everything the iPhone does secret?

The indicator that's been tripped on my phone is half yellow so maybe look for something like that? I just googled 'iPhone 4 water damage' and one of the first links that came up was for apple about the indicators: iPhone and iPod: Liquid damage is not covered by warranty

That's bad.

Well at my store it cost's £140 and they replace the phone water damaged or not. as i have replaced my one b4. then again was by rain water so dont know if it counts baths extra.