What's new

Verizon to Stop Selling Unlocked iPhones

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Verizon to stop selling unlocked iPhones.JPG

CNET reports that Verizon has announced that it will no longer sell unlocked smartphones in order to deter theft. From today, all Verizon devices will be locked in to the Verizon network, but only until the customer signs up and activates their service, after which they will be unlocked. However, later in the spring, Verizon will keep phones locked to its network for a set period of time, just as other carriers currently do.

“We’re taking steps to combat this theft and reduce fraud,” said executive vice president of Wireless Operations for Verizon, Tami Erwin. “These steps will make our phones exponentially less desirable to criminals.”

Hopefully, this move by Verizon will discourage thieves from stealing the phones either on the way to the retail store or just after being purchased. Unlocked iPhones are popular with thieves because they can more easily be sold on the black market or used on other carrier networks abroad.

Source: Verizon kills unlocked-phone policy by temporarily locking phones to its service

Well, I just bought my last iPhone from Verizon. I pretty much only get them from Apple anyway, but like for the X, I had to order from both sites to get it quickly.

In Canada, on December 2 last year, it became mandatory for all iPhones to be sold unlocked no matter who sells them. In addition, charging a fee to unlock iPhones became illegal.

I’m not 100% but I think here in the uk all smart phones have to be sold unlocked weather or not you get your phone on contact or not like I say I’m not 100% but I think so

When you buy a phone from my carrier in Austria, it is locked. That’s why I get my devices from Apple.
Other carriers sell them unlocked.

Last edited:
I bought my X from Apple, but it came locked to AT&T even though I paid for it in full.