What's new

Verizon iPhone Battery Life Drain too fast??

Enzo83

Reaction score
Verizon iPhone has been with me since Monday February 7. I used it until I had almost close to a dead battery from out of the box. Then I fully charged it. Then it reached 100% and did not use, nor got any texts and all that because I went to bed. Kept the phone on. Has at least 3 or 4 bars in my room. I went to bed at 11.30pm with a fully charged iPhone.

I wake at 5am (since I had to go to work Tuesday morning) and the percentage was at 54%!!!!!!!!! I kid you not! I did not have wifi turned on! No texts! No anything, just locked and sleep mode. Are you kidding me?! I had to recharge it again yesterday after I came back from work, and it is still draining so fast. 99%--97%--95%...uhhhh, I thought this battery was to last longer than the iPhone 3gs as iphone 4 has a bigger size? I do have push email (gmail) refreshing every 15 mins, but come on that should not drain the battery that bad!

Does anyone else have this issue? I read someone called Verizon to tell them about it, and they transferred them to Applecare and they told them to pay $90 for a new one or $30 for refurbished iPhone. Are ya Nuckin' Futs?

Why is there this issue when it's the same iPhone as ATnT? GSM network may use less battery?? I am so lost.

Gsm does in fact use less battery than Cdma. Your best bet is to plug it in at night. leaving it plugged in will not hurt it. Inherently Cdma uses more battery than Gsm. You could waste you money on another phone and still see the same results. You could also try turning off all data at night if you dont want to leave it plugged in.

You're lucky, with my Droid the battery would be almost dead by then.

Having your GMail checking every 15 minutes is a huge battery killer, try lowering it to an hour or two.

I use my phone moderately for 16 hours during the day - stereo bluetooth at the gym, GPS when necessary, etc. I'm not doing hardcore gaming or using the internet that much - and I'm at 60% when I go to bed at night.

Did you try a double tap to see how much stuff is running in the background?

You might have something running that's killing it. Yesterday I unplugged my phone at 6:50 am, and after moderate use all day, half wi-fi and half network, I was down to around 40% by 11pm.

I have owned an iPod touch 2g and Ipod touch 4g. Both last longer through wifi than my iPhone. They have smaller battery no doubt. I am used to the closing out the things running in the background--as I did close everything out--well I did forget to have Textfree app open, but the phone was in sleep-mode. Only time it works is when a text is sent to it, it's not searching anything, unless it does? I always close out my apps. Trust me, I do.

I let my battery drain completel to shut off. It's on the charge now, going to turn it on once I think it is fully charged. Before I let it drain, I had 50%. I added my yahoo email account and was deleting all the emails that I didn't want, having to press load more emails (at the very bottom). So this would just keep loading the phone (3g). Wifi is OFF. I had a lot of emails to delete, BUT I noticed how FAST the battery was draining, just by email? I mean come on. It went from 50% to 38% within 10 minutes. Is that really normal if the battery is larger? Be honest. I owned a blackberry storm before this and trust me, all the emails I had, DID NOT drain the battery that fast! In fact, the only thing I miss about my BB Storm is the status light indicator, BBM(I wish it goes out as an APP to all) and of course the obvious, the battery. Everything loading on the BB storm was slooooooowwwww, meaning it should drain the battery faster since it's "running" longer to download email images (I do not miss that!). But my iPhone yea, it's fast and snappy, but shouldn't that be a 'greener' thing? I can see yes and no for that.

But point being. If my battery drained so fast from 50% just by deleting emails (loading others to delete), texting a little bit to my friend and made a call/left voicemail, there has GOT to be something going on if it's just email draining battery.

I don't mind charging the phone every day. No. My problem is, why the hell does the battery life not last as long as it SHOULD? And I will increase push email time.

Thanks for the input so far.

*I use apps on my iPod touch 4g and 2g that use gps tracking for hours. battery lasts longer than if I had em running on iPhone.

At work I have crappy reception (lots of concrete walls etc) even though it shows 3 bars... so my iPhone (and all other phones I've had) is constantly dropping 3G and thus constantly searching to keep connected. This drains the battery. I can start out at the beginning of the day with 100% and by 3 or 4pm of little to no use the battery will be down to ~65-70%. That's not terrible... but it's not good either (again, with barely any use during the day).

At home, however... where reception is stellar... from 5pm until 2am (until I plug the phone in to charge overnight) my iPhone will go down maybe 2%-5% with moderate usage (bunch of texts and emails, and a call or two).

So honestly... the iPhone's battery life simply mirrors every other CDMA phone I've ever had. In crappy reception areas, the phone will always search for a 3G connection as it's designed to always keep an open connection thus draining the battery faster (whereas GSM is designed to open a 3G connection only when it needs to). Though, in excellent reception areas, the phones have great battery life.

Last edited:
I always have 3 or more bars. Rochester, NY location. Everywhere I go and I mean EVERYWHERE I go has reception. That's why I will stick with Verizon. But hopefully the battery learns and stays solid. I did change my email fetching.

What do you guys recommend. Fetching to hourly or manually? And push or no push?

I have an Exchange server at my office and have my iPhone set to "push". I can get about 5 to 6 hrs "actual use" on the phone and still have about 35% battery life left. If you don't need your email to arrive as it is sent, definitely set it to "manual" and just select the mail icon when we want to retrieve your mail. Unfortunately I have no choice but "push" because I live and die by email. Good luck!

I prefer push. I like my emails to arrive exactly when they're sent. Otherwise... what's the point of having a smartphone? If you're manually checking, etc... you might as well just wait until you're in front of your computer at home or work.

I prefer push. I like my emails to arrive exactly when they're sent. Otherwise... what's the point of having a smartphone? If you're manually checking, etc... you might as well just wait until you're in front of your computer at home or work.

Exactly. I shouldn't have to worry about EMAIL draining my battery. That's just stupid if I pay for that within data.

I just HAD to call Verizon. talked to a tech support guy. he said mine phone should not have dropped 50% after being fully charged, no use, within 5 hours.

I also had posted that I charged my phone FULLY at around 3pm today. I have just been texting ONE person, going back and forth, screen stays lit because, well, we are texting. Not even sending fotos. Maybe 2 within it. And from 95% which I had tracked it starting at 4.51pm, at 7.13pm it is at 56%! is this normal just for texting?????????????????????? Please someone, tell me it's the battery if I ONLY have this Textfree app open? Seems like when I am texting on this app (because the person has atnt and I dont have unlimited text to non verizon) it drains a % every 2 mins. WIFI is OFF the whole time.

Again, NOTHING is running in the background and location based services are not on.

Exactly. I shouldn't have to worry about EMAIL draining my battery. That's just stupid if I pay for that within data.

I just HAD to call Verizon. talked to a tech support guy. he said mine phone should not have dropped 50% after being fully charged, no use, within 5 hours.

I also had posted that I charged my phone FULLY at around 3pm today. I have just been texting ONE person, going back and forth, screen stays lit because, well, we are texting. Not even sending fotos. Maybe 2 within it. And from 95% which I had tracked it starting at 4.51pm, at 7.13pm it is at 56%! is this normal just for texting?????????????????????? Please someone, tell me it's the battery if I ONLY have this Textfree app open? Seems like when I am texting on this app (because the person has atnt and I dont have unlimited text to non verizon) it drains a % every 2 mins. WIFI is OFF the whole time.

Again, NOTHING is running in the background and location based services are not on.
The screen is the biggest power draw on the device. Either turn your brightness down or lock the phone between texts to shut the screen off. I've been using mine really heavily. Burning through 300+ MBs of data per day installing apps. I don't text all that much, maybe 20-30 per day, and I have plenty of battery to get through the day. I'm usually between 20-40 percent at the end of the day. Locking the screen when you aren't actively typing texts should help a lot.

I am on ATT but after 6 months I am still impressed with the battery life. I always have might brightness on like 50% full on can make you go blind lol. I habitually lock the screen. I also shut the wifi off when I leave the house because it drains the battery constantly searching for access. I don't stream much that will kill you. I keep stuff I want to hear on the drive. Uses hardly any juice to use the iPod. That's my main points. The battery is way better than my old phone and it was dumb no touch jobby. Good luck.