What's new

sorry if this has been asked alot but need help with battery drain.

moonman079

Reaction score
i have did some searching on here but am legally blind. when i read too much i get headaches. so i had stop. my phone was at 100% today around noon and now it is down to 65% and i talked on it for a half hour total that is al. i have not done any apps or anything. but my battery is still draining fast. i saw some stuff about things running in the background. but did not see where you go to turn them off.
any other suggestions on what i can do and details on how i can do it would greatly be appreciated. i came to the iphone from a droid so i am new at all of this stuff.

Double tape the home button, and u will see all the applications you think running in the background. U can just hold anyone of the app untill they start shaking, u will see a kind of sign on left top, tap on it to close them. Are u experiencing battery issues since you purchase your phone or this issue just started recentely???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the tip it looks like there was about 13 things running in the background so maybe that will help.
i have only had the phone a few days. it seemed to hold a better charge right out of the box. i charged it again last night it was at 100% at 3am and by 11am it was down to 92%. without being used at all. i turned off the stuff that uses my location and my wifi to see if that helps. but it did not seem to.

Best way to check for a poor battery,

Charge it up to 100%, close all apps in the multitasking bar, put airline mode on and lock it. Go to bed. In the morning check it, you should be at 98-97% minimum. Much more loss than that suggests there's a fault somewhere...

i will give that a try. i got all the apps closed out earlier today and have used my phone for less than 30 minutes and am down to 80% on my battery.

You should also make sure wifi is turned off (unless you are using it), and that location services is turned off (settings > general > location services).

OMG! I had absolutely no idea of how to close out applications, or that it was even possible! My battery has been draining like crazy. I literally had every single app on my phone running! No wonder! You guys are awesome!

thanks guys i will try all of these suggestions out i need to charge my phone anyway. i will report back tomorrow and let you know how it goes. besides the battery so far i really like the phone.

i will give that a try. i got all the apps closed out earlier today and have used my phone for less than 30 minutes and am down to 80% on my battery.

What about your screen brightness? Reduce it to the minimum possible you can instead of having it up to 100% bright. If you have setup email account on your phone, the check your mail "automatic fetch email every 15 or 30mn or so" off. You can fetch your mails manually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best way to check for a poor battery,

Charge it up to 100%, close all apps in the multitasking bar, put airline mode on and lock it. Go to bed. In the morning check it, you should be at 98-97% minimum. Much more loss than that suggests there's a fault somewhere...
I don't see how the phone would only use 2-3% of the battery when it's idle for 8 hours, even in airplane mode.

i charged it to 100% last night and turned it on plane mode. when i checked it today it was at 99%. my wife called from work and talked for about 10 minutes. and it dropped to 90%. it is down to 85% not and that was the only time i have used it. i have not set up any email accounts on it yet so that should not be the problem.
i also have wifi turned off as well as my locations. i also have been keeping all the apps that would be in the background closed. my screen brightness is around 30% thats about as low as i can go and still see it. i am wondering if it is drawing a lot of power because of reception. where i live we don't get good signal. but so far this phone has had the best and i am keeping 2 bars.
my other phones never killed the battery like that. but i was lucky to get 1 bar in the house. that is the only other thing i can think of that would cause it. it just seems strange how it pulls so much just sitting there with the screen locked and nothing running.

Turn ur email push to manually that also helps. Turn off repeat pop up in text messages. And r u jailbroken? Also try checking for updates on iTunes.

my phone is not jailbroken. i have heard of people doing that but am afraid i would mess the phone up if i tried. since i do not know what i am doing when it comes to stuff like that. if it is fairly easy to do i could probably do it. but i have not seen anything telling you how to do it.

The fact that it only uses up 1% overnight on airplane mode suggest theres nothing wrong with the battery.

Perhaps the phone constantly searching for a signal is causing it to drain so quickly?

Check out the hacking section for everything on jailbreaking. There's a step by step guide on how it's done (not that it's hard) and jailbreaking is easily reversible if need be...

thanks for all the info. if i sync my phone to itunes will it put all the songs i have on itunes on my phone? it does it every time i plug my ipod in. it puts all the songs on it again. also where do i look to find out how to make ringtones out of the songs i have on itunes?