What's new

Major Battery Drain on iPhone 4 with iOS 7

loco

Reaction score
I just upgraded to iOS 7 last night. Everything went flawless. So far, I like it. However, I am noticing considerable battery drain. I took my phone off the charger with 100% at 6:30. I barely used it and by 8:30 I was down to 72%. With drain like this, there is no way my phone would last a day without having to re-charge. Before iOS 7, I would get 1 full day with normal use.

Any tips / tricks / suggestions on how to conserve the battery with iOS 7 ?

Backup the device and restore to iOS 7 again, not upgrade. Turn off Parallax and Location System Services.

Settings.app > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > On.

Settings.app > Privacy > Location Services > Toggle on, scroll down to System Services, toggle everything off.

I have found that web surfing on verizon 3g is main battery culprit as I too had fast battery drain issues. I did a full reset on iphone 4 and the issues of battery not showing charging on phone screen and itunes syncing then iPhoto issues went away

all I did was to disable bluetooth and stocks passbook and weather apps.

with emails and text and using the timer for an hour since 10 am tuesday am down to 67% of battery left. have 21hrs 44 mins standby time and actual usage is 2 hrs 8 minutes all this since last battery recharge on tuesday so for me am back to where I was on
iOS 6!!

now is having same battery from 2 years 7 months ago a good sign as to longevity of iphone4 battery's or am I just lucky??

Thanks folks. I have been working on this issue since I upgraded. Seems that nothing I do really improves my battery life. My opinion is that there is an issue with this and I am hoping that Apple will release a fix. I was looking at youtube videos and finding that a lot of people are complaining. One fellow did a youtube video and stated that he listened to music over wifi for less then an hour and his battery went from 100% down to 14%.

Help Apple !!

Backup the device and restore to iOS 7 again, not upgrade. Turn off Parallax and Location System Services.

Settings.app > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > On.

Settings.app > Privacy > Location Services > Toggle on, scroll down to System Services, toggle everything off.

We don't have Parallax on the 4.

I found that my battery got better as time went on after first downloading. I believe Skull One has mentioned that the iOS has to "index"??? Give it some time and do a hard reset too. Mine is good now.

My iPhone 5S is about 9 times faster than an iPhone 4. It took my 5S just at 5 hours to re-index everything under iOS 7. And it killed the battery during that time frame. It is possible it could take at least a day to do the same thing on an iPhone 4.

So give it a chance to finish and settle down before saying iOS 7 is a battery killer. The more pictures, mail and text messages you have, the longer it takes.

I'll stand by, but I'm working on 2 days now. No music, 100'ish photos, minimal email. Mostly use phone for facebook and instagram......

Personally, I think FB is a drain on the battery even when not in use. I know those in-the-know say it is more drain to close out open apps, but I think it helps with FB. The procedure now with iOS7 is to double click the home button and then swipe the thumbnail upwards. Don't swipe the icon itself.

Personally, I think FB is a drain on the battery even when not in use. I know those in-the-know say it is more drain to close out open apps, but I think it helps with FB. The procedure now with iOS7 is to double click the home button and then swipe the thumbnail upwards. Don't swipe the icon itself.

I truly hate making exceptions. But the Facebook app on both iOS and Android should be killed out of memory the second you are done with it. Can not STAND the way that app has been coded.