What's new

com.apple.WebKit battery draining

Eren85

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

My problem is that my iPhone 5s (iOS 8.4) is getting hot and draining way too much battery when browsing, using WhatsApp etc.

So I have downloaded System Activity Monitor to check what the problem might be and I have seen that a process called com.apple.WebKit is always running on 100%. I dont know what it is and why it is draining so much battery and getting my iPhone so hot while using.

I would appreciate any help.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Eren85!

com.apple.Webkit is Safari, so what this monitor found out was that you're browsing quite often. You could try force closing Safari when you don't need it:
Double tap the home button to show the multitask bar, then slide the picture above the Safari app icon towards the top of the screen.

Did this problem (overheating device, battery draining) occur after installing an app? In that case, you'll have to blame the app for this issue, and remove it from your device.

Your iPhone can also become quite warm when your screen's brightness is at it's highest level. If so, reduce the brightness.

A software problem can be the reason for your issue as well. This is what could help in this case:
Go to Settings - General - Reset and "Reset all Settings". This will remove your Wi-Fi information, reset your wallpapers, set everything to default. You'll have to look through the Settings app afterwards, to set up everything the way you need it.

If this doesn't resolve your problem, you might try restoring your iPhone, using iTunes. Make sure there's a most recent backup, before you do so.

Hope that helps.

So, I am not surfing that much so it can't be that reason. I've tried restoring the settings, even after that I checked the monitor app and it is still showing com.apple.WebKit at 100%. I've checked battery usage for any app which might be responsible but beside whatsapp (which I am using quite often) there is no app which is draining much battery.

My brightness is on manual and very low so it can't be the display brightness.

I am very desperated, even while writing this text I lost about 4% battery :(

Do you allow apps to refresh in the background? Go to Settings - General - Background App Refresh. Either disable it completely, or disable apps that shouldn't be running in the background.

If an app doesn't behave as it should, force close it, using the method I described above. Did you try this with Safari, as suggested?

Disable notifications you don't need.

Don't use dynamic wallpapers or perspective zoom, they can drain your battery as well.

Another thing to try would be restarting your device (turn off completely, turn on again), or reset it (press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, let go of both, it will power up on it's own).

If all this doesn't help with your problem, restore it, as suggested in my post above. If necessary, restore it as new, without using a backup.

I already did all of this above, it didnt help. I was asking more what this problem with com.apple.WebKit was :( I could restore but I dont have any wifi right now and for the next weeks. Can anyone describe how I can restore and back up without wifi, or isn't wifi even necessary for this?

I'm sorry that this doesn't help.

If you use iTunes to restore your device, it needs to connect to Apple's servers online, to verify the right software (8.4) gets installed on your iPhone. So this doesn't work without Wi-Fi on the computer you use to restore your iPhone. You don't need an internet connection on your iPhone, though.

If you use Find my iPhone (Settings - iCloud), you need a connection to disable it. It doesn't have to be Wi-Fi, afaik this can also be done via 3G.

It's possible to erase the iPhone without any network connection in Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings. You need at least 3G to set it up again afterwards. No idea if it's possible to restore from an iCloud backup without Wi-Fi. I suppose it will take a few days until everything is back as it was before erasing, if it's possible.

If you have poor coverage (network connection), this will also drain the battery, btw.
To prevent this, use Airplane Mode when you don't need your iPhone.

Make sure all tabs are closed in Safari. The same with Google Chrome. Clear the Safari history in Settings. Then do a hard reset of your iPhone.

What do you mean exactly with hard reset? Delete everything on the phone not just the settings?

A hard reset is pressing and holding Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. When you let go of both as soon as you see the logo, your iPhone will power up on it's own.

Nothing will be changed by performing it, all it might do is remove some "hiccups" you're experiencing.

I did and its still the same :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 470