What's new

Verizon iPhone Battery Life Drain too fast??

My daughter uses that Textfree app on her IPod touch 4 and it drains her battery really fast too-- and her IPod uses wifi not 3G. So I think it may be that app...

Textfree kills the battery. There's a bug in the background service. Google it.

I just HAD to call Verizon. talked to a tech support guy. he said mine phone should not have dropped 50% after being fully charged, no use, within 5 hours.

So did he offer any suggestions/advice?

I also had posted that I charged my phone FULLY at around 3pm today. I have just been texting ONE person, going back and forth, screen stays lit because, well, we are texting. Not even sending fotos. Maybe 2 within it. And from 95% which I had tracked it starting at 4.51pm, at 7.13pm it is at 56%! is this normal just for texting?????????????????????? Please someone, tell me it's the battery if I ONLY have this Textfree app open? Seems like when I am texting on this app (because the person has atnt and I dont have unlimited text to non verizon) it drains a % every 2 mins. WIFI is OFF the whole time.

Again, NOTHING is running in the background and location based services are not on.

If I read that correctly... you just said you used your phone for almost 2.5hrs straight for texting... ie... with the screen on the whole time. Having the screen constantly on will most certainly drain your battery the quickest regardless of what service/technology you're on.

Similarly, if you play a game for 2.5hrs straight (with the screen on the whole time) you can bet the same thing will happen. Battery will go down quick.

If you're going to be in this situation often... then I'd suggest manually setting your screen brightness to a low setting (instead of the auto setting).

I'd also suggest keeping a charger with you wherever you go ;)

I am on ATT but after 6 months I am still impressed with the battery life. I always have might brightness on like 50% full on can make you go blind lol. I habitually lock the screen. I also shut the wifi off when I leave the house because it drains the battery constantly searching for access. I don't stream much that will kill you. I keep stuff I want to hear on the drive. Uses hardly any juice to use the iPod. That's my main points. The battery is way better than my old phone and it was dumb no touch jobby. Good luck.

Friend of mine also has ATnT and I even sent him screen captures of how using text free to text him, every 2 minutes that I would be using that app/screen on the battery would go down a percent. I never even made calls for a period of time. No emails. I have textfree app on my ipod touch--which uses my home wifi. I have wifi-OFF on my iPhone.

**The tech support dude told me to charge the phone to 100% before bed. Turn phone off, then back on and close out any open apps. (This was to see if my 100%-54% drop occurs again)--This morning it stayed at 100%. I had 2 texts through textfree, 4 emails. I went for the emails first. And again went from 100% to 99%, 98%, 97%, 96% etc. Up until right now, which is at 88%. This is ONLY from checking emails which were replies from this thread and checking/replying to the other 2 texts. Is that REALLY supposed to drop like that? I took screen shots of the time/percentage and it clearly shows every 2 minutes, it's a drop in percent only by doing those things. My iPod DOES NOT drain this fast I can tell you that much...and even if it did, its understandable since it doesn't have as big of battery as the iPhone 4 does. Am I right? I will call them again today. I don't have applecare but can I still call them for info?

So is there a problem with my battery? I have deleted the text free app but I will be checking emails, and go on the web, and text through regular texting (I guess I will spend another 10 bucks for unlimited text to all carriers even though I shouldnt have to with this batt issue, but don't want textfree being some kind of nitwit).

I don't mind having to lock my screen that's totally fine. I am willing to do and try anything to make sure my battery life does not drain as fast, but I am going to keep the screen lit to MY preference which is like the above poster at 50%.

Someone intrigue me with their Verizon iPhone (or even atnt people) and turn on your battery percentage indicator (Settings-General-Usage-Battery Percentage ON). Charge fully, or check how fast your percentage drops against the time. For me, I really find it on my phone to be every 2 minutes from just being in settings and doing simple things. SIMPLE things. I am not playing any games, just what I have in email when I get an email (push, but manual fetch are my settings).

But it's like when I am using the phone it drops a percent every 2 minutes as I keep saying. I typed pretty much the same on my blackberry storm and also bbm'd and my battery would still be alive and kicking and never locked it. I have my iphone auto-lock setting at 1 minute, ever since I got the phone.

I left the house (7AM) with 100% charge this morning. Location services, wifi, push notifications, all set to off. I check mail manually. Screen brightness set to auto.
Got on the train to work and browsed the internet, downloaded an app, etc for about 25 minutes...95% charge. Listened to the ipod continuously for 40 minutes, and the battery was 91%. It's now 10am and haven't used it much in the last hour, and it is at 88%.
I wonder just how accurate the percentages are. I know some devices can be very inaccurate, meaning the numbers may drop quicker when closer to 100% than they do in the middle of the scale.
What really matters is how long it takes to go down to near the bottom of power.

Last edited:
I left the house (7AM) with 100% charge this morning. Location services, wifi, push notifications, all set to off. I check mail manually. Screen brightness set to auto.
Got on the train to work and browsed the internet, downloaded an app, etc for about 25 minutes...95% charge. Listened to the ipod continuously for 40 minutes, and the battery was 91%. It's now 10am and haven't used it much in the last hour, and it is at 88%.
I wonder just how accurate the percentages are. I know some devices can be very inaccurate, meaning the numbers may drop quicker when closer to 100% than they do in the middle of the scale.
What really matters is how long it takes to go down to near the bottom of power.

The indicator percentage has to be on par because as it drops, so does the green. I am at 78 percent since using the phone at 8am, just texting since my 8am text/email check...I haven't gotten a lot of texts this morning nor have I been using the net, download an app, no music. nothing. I am not joking that when I have the screen on and DOING something, it is dropping a percent every 2 minutes. I did delete my textfree app (THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT SINCE IT'S GONE fyi) and went on facebook just to check on updates, also making sure I check if battery drains like I am thinking within 2 minutes to just close to 3, and yep I am right. That is not normal at all, it just cannot be normal with wifi turned off.

Does this make any sense--> when I had the phone FULLY charged at 100% before bed, I had 0 use, and I mean no texts. I wake up at 5am just to check it, and it is still at 100%. Cool. But I finally awake and start using the phone at 8am....battery goes from 100 to 99 to 98, every two minutes as I had thought. I also have done screen captures to prove it---no it doesn't show what I have done, but I can assure you its light texting this morning and tiny amount of email check which are from this forum, no picture email-loading and with the screen lit, it drops. Am I supposed to have the screen lit to 0? even 10? lol. no friggin way man. I read on Apple Support there are customers who are having issues as well and I am just letting you guys know, I am not full of S! I am at 78% now. And the only time the battery drains, is when I am using it, every 2 close to 3 minutes. So I guess it makes sense to never use my phone so that it will keep its charge? lmfao. RIGHT!!!

My only point is that it may drop percentage points faster in the beginning (in the 100% to 80%) but slow down when it is in the middle range. Meaning the gauge may not be very accurate all the time. Under normal use, how long does it take for the battery to go from 100% to 20%?.....THATS the most important question here.

My only point is that it may drop percentage points faster in the beginning (in the 100% to 80%) but slow down when it is in the middle range. Meaning the gauge may not be very accurate all the time. Under normal use, how long does it take for the battery to go from 100% to 20%?.....THATS the most important question here.

I am HARDLY doing "normal" use. I havent made 1 call, have not received a call. Hardly have done text. Just got emails whenever they are pushed (fetch is manual), and like i said, every 2 mins of checking facebook for, well, 2 minutes, a percent is dropped. The fact that it scares me that its dropping 2 minutes under LIGHT use, would mean that under HARDCORE use, calling, music listening, downloading an app or two (which is rare for me) I would be from 100% to 20% within oh maybe 4 (ok, maybe 5) hours!! Again, not even doing heavy using right now and it's at 70% from 8 am and I get a lot more texts than what I have been using my texts now. Verizon has the data info so they can tell if I have been using a lot of data today or not. Again havent played any games, dont really have any games other than angry birds, and a here and there text message.

This ain't normal dude, but I understand what you are saying under NORMAL, use. and i am hardly using it. Do you charge your phone twice a day or once a night? Because I am used to charging my phone once a night. That is normal for my usage, and from coming from a bb storm. I do the same thing with my iphone as I was with my bb. I would do a lot more on my iphone such as surf the web if need be compared to that POS bb browser, but I am afraid to use my iPhone for running out of juice so quickly.

Last edited:

This sounds about right. Pretty close to how mine drains. The percent seems pretty legit for me too. The last 20% can last hours some times. Even longer if you don't do anything with it. I'd say if it's going down quicker than that, alot quicker, it might be defective.

**I have owned iPod Touch 4G for almost a month**

Meaning I was used to closing out the apps in the 'background'--double clicking and press-hold-shake-x-out. So with the iPhone, I was used to doing that before opening another app or closing all of them out.

I called Verizon today (awesome customer service, why are people saying they suck, I have had them for 4 years going on 5 this coming November), and I told them about having called them yesterday and they had my notes with my battery issue from yesterday's first call. They had transferred me to Apple and the woman was very cool, she let me talk first if I started to say something (that's respect and I appreciate that stuff a lot just to add :)) and I would do the same to her. Anyway I told her no wifi, no bluetooth, no music, no games, no surfing the web no phone calls, and 3-4 emails came through, only just tiny amount of text. At the time I was with Verizon i told her I was at 60%. When I got with Apple, I had 59% (again, not doing anything hardcore except listening to her telling me to go into settings etc). I told her it was then down to 58%. She's like wow something really must be up. She wanted me to do some other stuff before and said you know what it can't be the outlet charger not giving enough power to the phone because it is charging it. She said tonight charge it up on the computer (usb) and see if it helps. She said it MAY be the wall charger (and I have been using the wall charger all these times since Monday night (first day with the phone), but just to try it. At the moment she said try plugging it into the computer, I did, and I told her it went up to 59% (but just for a short time and I knew that it wouldnt last as long). I asked should I keep it plugged into the computer she said no, so I took it off. and after 10 seconds it went back to 58%. Understandable. BUT GUESS WHAT? after 20 seconds, it went to 57% and luckily I had her on the phone with me. I told her. She said yea it has to be the battery I will mark down that you will charge by USB full tonight and monitor how it acts tomorrow and that I will recommend exchanging the phone.

She emailed me the notes (I have never dealt with Apple before and she EMAILED me notes!). That is just awesome to me haha.

Anyway in my Usage settings it says Time since last full charge: Usage 5 Hours 1 minute (current percentage is at 13%) and Standby is 21 Hours, 9 Minutes

Is that normal? Like I said I have only done minimal stuff on this thing.

Sounds kinda normal to me..... The % can make it seem like it's running down fast... Apple will exchange it almost no questions asked. But honestly if I'm on a call or browsing on 3G I can drain it in less than 5hours... Thats one % every 3min...LOL

Sounds kinda normal to me..... The % can make it seem like it's running down fast... Apple will exchange it almost no questions asked. But honestly if I'm on a call or browsing on 3G I can drain it in less than 5hours... Thats one % every 3min...LOL

so simple texting drains the battery as fast as I have mentioned? even without calls or browsing the web? you mean to say texting is as equal power draining than making calls or browsing? so basically it is completely normal to charge this brand new phone two times a day with just texting-use? Because that's all I really did today on it.

so simple texting drains the battery as fast as I have mentioned? even without calls or browsing the web? you mean to say texting is as equal power draining than making calls or browsing? so basically it is completely normal to charge this brand new phone two times a day with just texting-use? Because that's all I really did today on it.

What is your brightness setting at? If it's more than %50 yes its normal.

I don't know much about my iphone but I have to disagree, I text numerous times a day(pretty much all i do) I had pandora go for a bit today along with espn radio and maybe 10-15 minutes total of browsing also about 5 minutes on the ninja game and I'm sitting at 70%

Auto-brightness is set sooo yeahhh