What's new

Verizon iPhone Battery Life Drain too fast??

I don't know much about my iphone but I have to disagree, I text numerous times a day(pretty much all i do) I had pandora go for a bit today along with espn radio and maybe 10-15 minutes total of browsing also about 5 minutes on the ninja game and I'm sitting at 70%

Auto-brightness is set sooo yeahhh

So you're saying there is something wrong w the battery? I have brightness set in the middle. I lock it when it's not in use to conserve the battery bit it doesn't do much.

I will post 3 screen captures from this morning proving that when just at full charge I drop 3 prevents all on around two to three minutes. Ha it just dropped again to 97%. I'll upload and u will see not going nuts. All I have open in background is mail and settings and this webpage up. I am typing from my iPhone. Just gotta wait til after work. Ha just dropped again now at 96% at 6.30am took off charge w zero use at 12.30am.

you never mentioned if u close all the background running apps.

double click home button and close all apps, do this frequently throughout the day. this saves tons of battery life

If you think it's defective go exchange it. If the new one does the same thing then I guess it's not defective.

Just for the record, Enzo... I don't think anyone is saying you're crazy. Just that what you're experiencing may be normal based on your usage and HOW you use it. Regardless of what apps you have running (you could have 1 or you could have 20) if you are constantly using the phone such that the screen is always on... then you will see the quick battery drain that you are experiencing.

But... if you're reception is good, 3G is constant, and you're not using your phone much at all throughout the day and you're seeing the quick battery drain issues... then you may have a defective battery.

The other possibility is that you're so obsessed with checking your battery level that you check every 3 minutes... which means your screen is constantly on... which means that you are, in essence, causing your battery to drain faster than if you were to relax... and just go about your day not worrying/checking on your phone's battery.

Try this... tonight... turn the battery percent gauge OFF (and leave it off)...and plug it in the charger to charge overnight. Tomorrow... take your phone off of the charger when you normally would... and go about your day. Check/send texts/emails whenever it occurs to you to... make/receive calls when you want/need to. Do whatever you want whenever you want for however long you want with your phone. But DON'T LOOK AT THE BATTERY GAUGE ONCE. Then when you're about to plug the phone in before going to bed... THEN you can turn on the battery percent gauge to see where it's at. This way, you're forcing yourself not to continually check the gauge and cause any extra drain on your battery throughout the day. And you can actually see what kind of battery life you get out of a "normal" day of usage.

This should help you decide if the battery is really defective or not.

If you really think it's defective... exchange the phone for a new one. And like DannyBoy said... if the new one is the same way... then you'll know it's not the phone.

And just to add some data points from my own iPhone... Today, I took the phone off of the charger at 8:30am at 100%... and throughout the day I sent/recieved ~25 texts, received a handful of emails, made 2 2min-long calls, used Google Maps GPS Navigation for ~30min (with the screen in sleep mode for half the time), played Solitaire for ~5 min, used the camera to take 5 photos... and it's now 8:45pm and my iPhone is at 80% left. Pretty damn good if you ask me. Other days with heavier usage I have ended the day with anywhere from 30%-50% left. Still totally acceptable.

EDIT: It's 11:03pm now and between 8:45 and now I just sent/received another 10 texts and made 2 phone calls (20 min and 5 min) and phone is now at 73%. I'll probably end the night with 70% or more. Definitely happy with the battery life.

Last edited:
double click home button and close all apps, do this frequently throughout the day. this saves tons of battery life

WOW, I didn't even know about the double tap to close apps, my battery seemed to be draining fast today also, but I just did the double tap and had about 15 apps running!

Thanks for the tip! :)

Just for the record, Enzo... I don't think anyone is saying you're crazy. Just that what you're experiencing may be normal based on your usage and HOW you use it. Regardless of what apps you have running (you could have 1 or you could have 20) if you are constantly using the phone such that the screen is always on... then you will see the quick battery drain that you are experiencing.

But... if you're reception is good, 3G is constant, and you're not using your phone much at all throughout the day and you're seeing the quick battery drain issues... then you may have a defective battery.

The other possibility is that you're so obsessed with checking your battery level that you check every 3 minutes... which means your screen is constantly on... which means that you are, in essence, causing your battery to drain faster than if you were to relax... and just go about your day not worrying/checking on your phone's battery.

Try this... tonight... turn the battery percent gauge OFF (and leave it off)...and plug it in the charger to charge overnight. Tomorrow... take your phone off of the charger when you normally would... and go about your day. Check/send texts/emails whenever it occurs to you to... make/receive calls when you want/need to. Do whatever you want whenever you want for however long you want with your phone. But DON'T LOOK AT THE BATTERY GAUGE ONCE. Then when you're about to plug the phone in before going to bed... THEN you can turn on the battery percent gauge to see where it's at. This way, you're forcing yourself not to continually check the gauge and cause any extra drain on your battery throughout the day. And you can actually see what kind of battery life you get out of a "normal" day of usage.

This should help you decide if the battery is really defective or not.

If you really think it's defective... exchange the phone for a new one. And like DannyBoy said... if the new one is the same way... then you'll know it's not the phone.

And just to add some data points from my own iPhone... Today, I took the phone off of the charger at 8:30am at 100%... and throughout the day I sent/recieved ~25 texts, received a handful of emails, made 2 2min-long calls, used Google Maps GPS Navigation for ~30min (with the screen in sleep mode for half the time), played Solitaire for ~5 min, used the camera to take 5 photos... and it's now 8:45pm and my iPhone is at 80% left. Pretty damn good if you ask me. Other days with heavier usage I have ended the day with anywhere from 30%-50% left. Still totally acceptable.

EDIT: It's 11:03pm now and between 8:45 and now I just sent/received another 10 texts and made 2 phone calls (20 min and 5 min) and phone is now at 73%. I'll probably end the night with 70% or more. Definitely happy with the battery life.

Thanks for your input. But this is what I have done all day. Text. Sent 0 emails. Used a scanning app for 10 seconds which didn't find barcode as I was walking/moving so I closed out. Went on facebook for 5 mins max. 0 phone calls coming/going. Only the early AM typing my 2 posts before this one- Web time. No gaming. Going through settings area for a tiny bit. Went on an app that uses GPS for 2 mins max maybe 5 times each. And pretty much, as I have stated before, only texted.

LoL. Why would I want to "complain" when something just isn't right. And for you guys to say just exchange it...yea, well thats simple. But this place is to help others who may experience these issues...if not today, tomorrow, then maybe in 6 months.

So with that being said, there has got to be a problem with my battery. Between 5am this morning at 100%, it is now 11.30pm and I am at 48%.

And sorry I haven't posted fotos like I said in my earlier post. I wish I could upload them to this post from phone.

oh and I am used to closing out my apps by double tapping home button, since I have mentioned in a post with asterisk (*) that I am used to closing out apps in background so I always have everything closed at each and every time I go for my phone. Nothing is ever in the background. Trust me, I am "obsessed" with doing that as well.

And I will do what you say. Like I said, I am willing to try anything in order to save the battery or increase battery life. But if I notice tomorrow night that I have the same percent that I do at this point with the phone, it's being sent. You did all that and have 73%, yea well I did way less that you did and it's hard to prove what I did since you weren't with me to see exactly what I did, but I have 48% and that's pretty suckage. Just imagine where I WOULD be at if I did what you did on top of what I have done. :)

*And if I may add, I have been texting faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar lesssssssss since I have received my iPhone. I was texting sooooooooooooooooo much on my Blackberry Storm (only Verizon can prove that to you guys). Battery life on that way fantastic, but again, I am texting wayyyyyy less on this phone right now. Why? Not sure actually. But I was regular texting on my BB as well as texting on BBM, which is an app that would be running on top of instantly sending a text. Not sure how to differentiate, but I am sure I am making some kind of sense.

Last edited:
If you think it's defective go exchange it. If the new one does the same thing then I guess it's not defective.

I will be exchanging it. Monday I will let Verizon know to ship me a new one. They will be calling me back anyway.

If the new one does the same thing, then I will be returning it as well. I just cannot see how I am not making calls hardly any web no wifi no blue and no music and no gaming and just texting that the phone is giving me 3 hours of usage with 48% left. So 6 hours of total usage makes the phone dead? Is that cool and normal? Doesn't seem legit to me. Im not keeping the screen on to fade off to lock on it's own. I am locking it myself right after text & closing out background stuff. Auto-lock 1 min anyway.

No one else is having this issue? Then my phone MUST be defective. Am I right, or am I right? lol. Sometimes life hands you lemons. I am not PISSED I am just making sure if this is ok, or not.

Everyone is getting push and pull confused... If you have it set to what everyone is calling "push" every 15 minutes, thats called pulling, and THAT is what kills batteries. PUSH, is when a third party sends you a notification, so it takes up a negligible amount of battery to be notified.

5am this morning at 100%, it is now 11.30pm and I am at 48%.

im confused. This sounds exactly what im expeiriencing, and an acceptable battery performance. But later you posted that it went down to 48% in 3 hours, which DOESNT sound right.

It's now 3:25am and I'm only now about to hit the sack. iPhone is at 69% battery.

Enzo... like I said... only you can "know" if your battery life is normal or not. If you don't think it is (which it's obvious you don't)... definitely exchange it.

Good luck with the new one man.

Well it's pretty obvious you all have been doing way more than I have, and just from texting, which as I have numerously stated, is draining the battery a lot more. And that is unacceptable to me. I have just charged it overnight like you said, I just took the percent indicator off like you have said, but before that I went to check my mail (had to manually do this--push has been off) and I received 2 emails from this site and went on the web on the phone with the links provided to this site. I only read newest stuff posted here, and it's already at 98%. I know how much you hate me looking at the battery, but like I said, i am not even doing as much to have it already be 98%. The web page loaded, but I stopped it since I don't care for the page to be FULLY loaded as to consume as much battery as possible right? I just pressed the lil x on the browser. So as much as I am trying to conserve that percent indicator is right.

As for:

"Rocinante Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo83
5am this morning at 100%, it is now 11.30pm and I am at 48%.

im confused. This sounds exactly what im expeiriencing, and an acceptable battery performance. But later you posted that it went down to 48% in 3 hours, which DOESNT sound right. "

Again, I have done minimal use on the phone--texting being the biggest, but as I stated in my last post, I am a heavy texter, but have cut down for now. What I meant by that is in Usage settings it shows Usage: 3 hours, 11 mins (this is what I remember it being at 48% last night before I charged it up to full this morning) And below that was Standby time which was 21 hours and whatever min---which is pretty legit since it was the last FULL charge cycle of yesterday from 12.30 taken off the charge once it hit 100% full. So I got 3 hours, 11 mins with text "heavy" use which lead to 48% with some minor stuff as I had mentioned earlier.

As a previpus poster said, best bet is to use the phone normally for the day and see when it dies. Ignore the percent. Because in reality, how long it lasts is the ONLY thing you really need to focus on.

So you used 52% of your battery to get from 5 am to 1130 pm? If you aren't happy with that performance, a smartphone is not for you. Thats about as good as it gets. I've always had to recharge my smart phones every day. Sometimes my droid wouldn't even get through one day. I haven't had any trouble with my iPhone, and I have never closed a background app. Not once. I have noticed that the iphone tends to use more power while in standby (probably because I never close apps) than my droid, but it is more efficient during usage. I once had a 20 minute web browsing session over 3G burn through 50% of my battery. That doesn't happen anymore.

So you used 52% of your battery to get from 5 am to 1130 pm? If you aren't happy with that performance, a smartphone is not for you. Thats about as good as it gets. I've always had to recharge my smart phones every day. Sometimes my droid wouldn't even get through one day. I haven't had any trouble with my iPhone, and I have never closed a background app. Not once. I have noticed that the iphone tends to use more power while in standby (probably because I never close apps) than my droid, but it is more efficient during usage. I once had a 20 minute web browsing session over 3G burn through 50% of my battery. That doesn't happen anymore.

$$$

Take it back and get a razr or something lol. There is nothing wrong with the phone. Don't bother with a Droid either everyone will tell you they drain the battery like crazy.