What's new

Use iPhone in Italy for Trip

Fix Johnson

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Italy this fall. We would like to find out about using a couple of older iPhones and buying Italian sim cards for them. Has anybody got any experience in using iPhones when travelling and purchasing local sim cards?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if you can just point us to a link with info that would be great.

Regards

Fix

First, make sure the iPhone you plan on taking is unlocked so it will work with any carrier. Next, make sure that the bands available on the iPhone are ones available with the Italian carriers you plan on using. If the phone is compatible, you should have no problem using it with an Italian carrier SIM card. Newer iPhones support many more bands than older iPhones and would be a better choice. I used an iPhone 5S in Britain with a local SIM card without problem during my trip in 2014 with no problems.

Don’t forget to take your passport if you buy the SIM Card in Italy, as you will need to prove your identity.

In Italy they require proof of identity to buy a SIM card, presumably some type of crime prevention.

My wife and I are going to Italy this fall. We would like to find out about using a couple of older iPhones and buying Italian sim cards for them. Has anybody got any experience in using iPhones when travelling and purchasing local sim cards?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if you can just point us to a link with info that would be great.

Regards

Fix

https://m.tim.it/tim-visitors-en
You will need to show your passport. They will take a photocopy for records.

You could also try Vodafone.it
Depending on the region you are traveling, signal levels can vary.
Enquire in airport arrivals.

Wind.it is another notable service provider in Italy.
Don’t forget to check your chargers, Italian voltage is 220/230 volts. Not sure if US chargers can handle that. Also need plug adapters.

Last edited:
The site says passport or identity card.

I have purchased three SIM cards in Italy and subsequently put credit on same at outlets. I was always asked to show my passport. I don’t know if they would have accepted driver’s licence or other id. Presumably they would, but since I was visiting there I carried my passport and had no issue with the request.