What's new

Using an iPhone 3G in Italy?

bsa52

Reaction score
Hey there - hoping all you smarter tech peeps than me than help out with my question.

Currently I own an older ATT iphone 3g & will buy a new iphone 4 or 5 this fall when the new models come out. My question is about "unlocking" my old phone to use in Italy this fall for a month - think it will be cheaper on a local provider.

I think I can change out the SIM card once I arrive in Milan for a local provider SIM. Anyone done this and can recommend a place to go?

But I believe I have to "unlock" my phone first. This is a piece of software that does this? If I have not bought the newer phone by the time I leave, can I do this and still maintain my service with ATT once it is unlocked?

Basically, I want to maintain my ATT service while in the US, change to local service in Italy for call and to use Google maps, trip advisor apps, etc. Will the apps on my phone remain usable after unlocking?

Thanks in advance for any help!
b

The iphone 3G is pwned for life but ATT officially unlock phones now i believe so if you contact them they can probably unlock it for you for a fee or maybe free so you can use the device in Italy or any where in the world with a supported sim