What's new

Upper Left Hand Corner Connectivity Symbols

Bob11

Reaction score
Hello,

Brand new user.

Very confused over the upper left hand corner symbols.

I have a row of dots, with only one filled in.
Then the Verizon name

Then the circular (ice cream cone) symbol that (I think) means it is connected to WiFi (my home Router)

But I am not certain of all of this. e.g, should all of these be present at once ?

Might anyone, please, describe these symbols, what's being used presently (wiFi or Verizon's network ?), etc. ?

Much thanks,
bob

You can certainly have them all appear at the same time. Here's a screenshot from my iPhone. The more black dots in the cellular signal strength indicator, the stronger your signal. The more arcs present in the WiFi signal strength indicator, the stronger your connection. Keep in mind that you can have a strong connection from your iPhone to your WiFi router but a weak internet connection to that router from your ISP.
image.png

The exception is the cellular data type, LTE, 3G, etc.. which is displayed when you're using a cellular data connection instead of WiFi. It's displayed in the same location as the WiFi signal strength indicator.
image.png

You can certainly have them all appear at the same time. Here's a screenshot from my iPhone. The more black dots in the cellular signal strength indicator, the stronger your signal. The more arcs present in the WiFi signal strength indicator, the stronger your connection. Keep in mind that you can have a strong connection from your iPhone to your WiFi router but a weak internet connection to that router from your ISP.
View attachment 23092

The exception is the cellular data type, LTE, 3G, etc.. which is displayed when you're using a cellular data connection instead of WiFi. It's displayed in the same location as the WiFi signal strength indicator.
View attachment 23093
----------------
Hi again,

Thanks for help; much appreciated.

So, when there are both symbols present, the dots for the Cel, and also the curved lines for the
WiFi, how do you know which is currently being used ?

Bob

View attachment 23092

View attachment 23093

Hi,

Thanks for help. Very appreciated. Sure is a lot to learn.
I posted my reply in the wrong place. I apologize, and will re-post it here:

So, when there are both symbols present, the dots for the Cel, and also the curved lines for the

Bob

If the WiFi signal strength indicator is present, you're using WiFi for data but phone calls and regular MMS and SMS text messages will still use the cellular network.

Hi,

Thanks for help. Very appreciated. Sure is a lot to learn.
I posted my reply in the wrong place. I apologize, and will re-post it here:

Bob
If the Wi-Fi symbol is being displayed, then the phone if using a Wi-Fi connection. When available Wi-Fi connections become too weak, the system will switch over to an available cellular connection.

Edit: it seems I posted a reply at the same time scifan posted. Great minds think alike, eh? :)