What's new

Can't connect to my work's Wifi

thekilikabeast

Reaction score
At home I just typed in my password and BOOM I'm connected.

At work, I type in the password, my iPhone has a wee think about it then connects (ie the wifi symbol comes up in the top left corner - full bars) but when I try to use the internet nothing happens.

I don't really know anything about the ins and outs of these things.
So when I go into the network settings for the wifi all I can see is that in the DHCP section the following fields have numbers in them: IP Address / Subnet Mask / Router / DNS. As does BootP but not Static.

If anyone can shed some light I would be very grateful, I would love free wifi at work.

If any more info is needed just ask I can try and supply it.
Thanks in advance.
Fraser

how far are you from the works router/hub?
The writer wrote that he has "full bars," so the signal strength ( and distance) must be OK!

Anyway, Frazer, please let us know if/how you finally resolve this. I have no answer, but are there any others in your work area that use that Wi-Fi system? How do they connect? Surely, someone there must connect! Ask around.

I've found that if you just finger-punch the particular Wi-Fi location's button enough, then get back to the main iPhone screen, the connection does finally work. Play with it, try, and get back with us. Thanks.

Why do you need to connect to wifi thats why your phone company has phone towers so you dont need wifi

Why do you need to connect to wifi thats why your phone company has phone towers so you dont need wifi

Duh.... Phone company data is expensive, wi-fi is free. But you know that, don't you....

Thanks for all the replies, some are more helpful than others.

I'm like 3 feet away from the router.

Try again but in english please.

Thanks Connii, but your comment really isn't useful at all and pretty annoying to be honest.

The writer wrote that he has "full bars," so the signal strength ( and distance) must be OK!

Anyway, Frazer, please let us know if/how you finally resolve this. I have no answer, but are there any others in your work area that use that Wi-Fi system? How do they connect? Surely, someone there must connect! Ask around.

I've found that if you just finger-punch the particular Wi-Fi location's button enough, then get back to the main iPhone screen, the connection does finally work. Play with it, try, and get back with us. Thanks.

Yeah my boss has an iPad and his just jumped straight on to the wifi so i know that the router accepts foreign mac appliances.
I will have to try and finger punch the wifi button a lot and see what comes from it.
Just seems very odd that i've got full bars but no internet.
I just thought that there would be a more technical problem that someone would know about.
Oh well.

Duh.... Phone company data is expensive, wi-fi is free. But you know that, don't you....

And yeah, I only have a finite amount of data usage so free wifi would be a bonus.

Cheers guys