What's new

Upgrading to iOS 10 iPhones ... What you need to know

Col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Apple will release the latest operating system iOS 10 on Tuesday 13th September (USA time) To avoid issues I have put together some information that may make it easier for you to upgrade
I understand many of you have done this before however even the most experience can learn by reading the following. Over the years I receive many requests from users both clients and online in the forums whom mainly have problems upgrading their devices. Hopefully this will stream line the procedure and you can sit back and enjoy this long awaited operating system.

Here is a complete list of the devices that are supported with ios10 :
• iPad 4th gen
• iPad Air
• iPad Air 2
• iPad Pro
• iPad mini 2
• iPad mini 3
• iPad mini 4
• iPod touch 6th
• iPhone 5
• iPhone 5c
• iPhone 5s
• iPhone SE
• iPhone 6/6 Plus
• iPhone 6s/6s Plus
• iPhone 7/7 Plus ( Shipped with iOS 10
• Sixth -gen iPOD Touch
DO NOT attempt this upgrade if you do not have at least ADSL 2, NBN or Cable Internet and or if your internet is patchy and or slow.

BACKUP YOUR DATA
Before you do anything major such as upgrading your device you need to make sure that you have a backup just in case things don't go smoothly. You can either back up your data to iCloud, or if you don't have enough space you can take the old-school road and connect your iPhone or iPad to a Mac or PC and do the backup through iTunes. ( Down load latest version (12.4.3.1)of iTunes before proceeding Do not forget to back up your PC or Mac after you complete the device back up.

You can upgrade your iCloud storage plan from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC, and you can choose a total of 50GB, 200GB, 1TB, or 2TB. After you upgrade, we'll bill you monthly.
Prices vary depending what country you live in

DO I NEED TO DELETE APPS TO MAKE SPACE FOR THE UPGRADE?
Not if you are on iOS 9 or above, because the operating system will handle clearing space for you (even if that means deleting and re downloading apps If you are short on space then use option 2 via iTunes to perform the upgrade. Remember you can delete any Apps you own and reload those Apps at no charge. Be care full with music as that does not apple. Just make sure your device is back up.

IS IT BETTER TO UPGRADE OR WIPE A DEVICE AND START FROM SCRATCH?
It's a lot less hassle to just upgrade a device because you get to keep all your apps and settings.
However, devices that I have wiped and reloaded a new iOS onto, and then installed and re-setup all my apps and such feel faster and seem to suffer from fewer problems (such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi issues. However, wiping and reloading the apps and data is pretty big hassle, and probably more work than most want to undertake.
KNOW YOUR PASSWORDS AND LOG IN CODES
Following the upgrade you’ll need to enter your iCloud password and your 6 or 4 code security numbers in order to be able to reconnect to all your data and photos. If you don't have this close to hand -- remember, having it on the device you're upgrading isn't all that convenient -- then this might be a good time to do that.
There are 2 ways to upgrade
Option 1) OVER THE AIR VIA WIFI ( this is the fastest and easiest)
Over the Air via Wi-Fi and connected to your internet Router - Requires power connected plus 50% charged and at least 4 gb clear ( pending on model)
Go to Settings> General> Software Update > iOS 10 and then tap on the install now option. Follow the instructions.
Option 2) iTUNES (Connect your device to your computer)
2) Via iTUNES This will take longer however it is ideal for backing up any iOS device that has only 16gb of memory and or has limited space plus it wipes the device and installed the new system then restores from back up. It can take along time depending again on internet speed and if net work is not overloaded. Again timing is the issue as Apple’s servers will be busy
Encrypted backup ( option) ideal for business users and any one whom has sensitive information on there device .
WHY SHOULD I ENCRYPT MY BACKUP.
Encrypting your backups means that you’re taking security of your personal information such as email account passwords or contact information one step further. It won’t be enough for someone to simply get hold of your computer and look through your iPhone or iPad backups, since they’ll need a password to use them. (This is only available via iTunes )
Issues to be aware of :
1) Server traffic will be heavy and in some cases you may find the update may stall or you cannot connect to Apple’s servers (Millions are down loading this upgrade so don’t panic. If it stalls give it a couple of hours and try again if not try next day.
2) After the down load is complete you may find the device is slow this can be due to the device is indexing and updating I highly recommend performing a soft reset.
3) Remember that almost all your Apps will need to be upgraded so if something crashes it is most likely not updated and is the developers problem NOT Apple.
Just launch the App Store and begin updating…. Over night is best time to do this.
Perform a soft reset :
Performing a soft reset is pretty simple. This basically clears most issues you may have such as wifi not working, data missing etc after you have installed the new iOS.

Just press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. You can let go of both buttons after the Apple logo appears.
1 Your phone will go through the usual process of starting up.
2 You’ll be back in your home screen.

Keep in mind if you own a Mac Computer that qualifies, Sierra OS is due Wednesday week so you are in for yet another upgrade.

Regards Colin Filshie

Administrator
www.iphoneforums.net
www.ipadforums.net
www.applewatchforum.net
www.Appleforums.net

Another reason to encrypt your backup is that it is the only way to backup your health data and the Activity app used with the Apple Watch. If you use Apple Pay, you'll have to set it ip again if you restore from a backup after a clean install as credit card data is not included in a backup. Another thing not included in a backup is your fingerprints for Touch ID.

While you have to enable encrypted backups in iTunes, iCloud backups are encrypted automatically, and also contain Health data.

Are they still not allowing you to upgrade from beta to full release software, or is this possible now? Cheers.

Thanks, Col! Upgrading to iOS 10 now. I always wipe my iPhone and set it up as a new device before upgrading to a new version of iOS.

Thanks for the heads up Col. I'm downloading the update now on my iPhone 6!

So I've backed up my iPhone to iCloud. Then I went to iTunes on my laptop and manually backed my iPhone up to the laptop after first updating iTunes.

If I understood correctly, it should now be safe for me to download and install IOS 10. If I've missed something, someone please tell me. I'll wait for confirmation before downloading IOS 10.

Thanks very much...

So I've backed up my iPhone to iCloud. Then I went to iTunes on my laptop and manually backed my iPhone up to the laptop after first updating iTunes.

If I understood correctly, it should now be safe for me to download and install IOS 10. If I've missed something, someone please tell me. I'll wait for confirmation before downloading IOS 10.

Thanks very much...
If you're going to do the update through iTunes and have any health data on your iPhone, including activity data from the Apple Watch, make sure to do an encrypted backup, which is the only way to preserve the health data should you need to restore from a backup.

I hadn't planned to do the update through iTunes but now I'm wondering which way is best.

If I update my iPhone by itself do I not have to worry about encryption?

Would it be more difficult to restore from encrypted?

I hadn't planned to do the update through iTunes but now I'm wondering which way is best.

If I update my iPhone by itself do I not have to worry about encryption?

Would it be more difficult to restore from encrypted?
While most people will upgrade via the OTA method, if you choose to update through iTunes is just as easy and quick as an OTA update. If you choose to restore instead to update, restoring from an encrypted backup is just as easy as from a non-encrypted backup. The only difference is that you have to enter the encryption password when asked.