What's new

Upgrading to 5.1.1 in JB/Unlocked 3GS and downgrading BB

drjaycee

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a jail-broken and unlocked iPhone 3GS on 5.0.1; BB 6.15.00 . I'd like to upgrade to IOS 5.1.1 retaining my unlock and also to downgrade my iPad baseband .
Would you please help me with the steps that I must take sequentially ? ( any link would also be helpful)
I guess it's an oft-asked question but please do bear with me .

Thanks in advance.

I would downgrade the baseband with redsnow 9.14b2 first. Open redsn0w choose extra-> select ipsw-> then select your ipsw (you'll need to download the ipsw for 5.0.1). Go back and click jailbreak. select only the option to downgrade baseband and then run the jailbreak. Then, with your downgraded baseband you have a few different options, you can either upgrade with iTunes then jailbreak again, or jailbreak with snowbreeze or redsnow. I would personally use snowbreeze (can download it here http://ih8sn0w.com/) but it's just my preference. To do it with snowbreeze you will need to download snowbreeze and the 5.1.1 ipsw file. Open snowbreeze, select your ipsw file, click next. Choose simple mode if you don't have much experience with this program. It will preserve your baseband and create the custom ipsw file on your desktop. once this is finished, you will be given instructions to enter DFU mode. Then, open iTunes it will recognize the device as iPhone in recovery mode. click ok. Hold the shift button on your keyboard while clicking restore in iTunes. you will then choose your ipsw file that you just made (located on your desktop) Let iTunes run the restore, and you should be good to go. Also when the jailbreak is done, go to cydia and install ultrasn0w. Oh and I forgot to mention, you may have to run the baseband downgrade in redsn0w twice. It doesn't seem to happen often but sometimes you lose all wifi blootooth etc. If this happens just run the downgrade again same as first time and that usually does the trick for me. Let us know if you need further instructions.

waldoe said:
I would downgrade the baseband with redsnow 9.14b2 first. Open redsn0w choose extra-> select ipsw-> then select your ipsw (you'll need to download the ipsw for 5.0.1). Go back and click jailbreak. select only the option to downgrade baseband and then run the jailbreak. Then, with your downgraded baseband you have a few different options, you can either upgrade with iTunes then jailbreak again, or jailbreak with snowbreeze or redsnow. I would personally use snowbreeze (can download it here http://ih8sn0w.com/) but it's just my preference. To do it with snowbreeze you will need to download snowbreeze and the 5.1.1 ipsw file. Open snowbreeze, select your ipsw file, click next. Choose simple mode if you don't have much experience with this program. It will preserve your baseband and create the custom ipsw file on your desktop. once this is finished, you will be given instructions to enter DFU mode. Then, open iTunes it will recognize the device as iPhone in recovery mode. click ok. Hold the shift button on your keyboard while clicking restore in iTunes. you will then choose your ipsw file that you just made (located on your desktop) Let iTunes run the restore, and you should be good to go. Also when the jailbreak is done, go to cydia and install ultrasn0w. Oh and I forgot to mention, you may have to run the baseband downgrade in redsn0w twice. It doesn't seem to happen often but sometimes you lose all wifi blootooth etc. If this happens just run the downgrade again same as first time and that usually does the trick for me. Let us know if you need further instructions.

U'll need to put it in pwnDFU for the custom ipsw.. But if he's using snowbreeze it will do it for you right after you create the custom ipsw.. Then iTunes will do the rest.

Thanks a lot, both of you . Shall get back if I encounter any difficulties. Shall let you know how it goes.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using
Tapatalk.